Chapter Sixteen

I looked around the dormitory room, checking I hadn't forgotten to pack anything, and also trying to absorb it before having to leave it. I let out a deep breath, then walked down to the common room, where Remus and Sirius were waiting for me. I smiled sadly at the two of them, grabbed each of their hands and dragging them out. I didn't want to stay here much longer, it felt odd sticking around, and we were meant to be down to catch the train back soon. 

The train ride passed quite quickly; I fell asleep almost as soon as we had found a compartment, and only woke up when we were ten minutes away from the station. I was a bit sad to have spent the last hours with my friends before going away asleep, but I had hardly slept at all recently, and I still found it rather exhausting to be around people. In the last minutes, everyone did their very best to make me smile. I put one on so that they would feel better for me, but really I felt hollow on the inside, knowing that I wouldn't see them again, at least not for a long time, and that after the funeral tomorrow, I'd be gone.

Saying goodbye to them all was a mess. I cried, as did everyone else. Even Remus cried, even though I was going home with him. I supposed it was because he too knew he was going to have to say goodbye to him soon, and I sobbed a little harder at the prospect.

Remus' parents found us and Hope Lupin held me as I wept into her shoulder. She stroked my hair slowly whispering comforting words.

"Ollie." Sirius was there, his eyes red, and I turned around and threw my arms tight around him sniffling and trying to stop the flow of tears and snot.

"We'll see each other again, you know," He said in a low voice, "I mean we have to. It's probably destiny." 

I giggled and hiccoughed, then said, "You're right. Not about that destiny bullcrap though. We'll force fate into letting us see each other again."

He laughed and I felt his body shake, "Good luck with your father, Ollie. I'm sure everything will turn out alright."

I pulled a bit away, and held the sides of his head, looking deep into his eyes, "Good luck with your father. Your mother too. Let me know if they give you trouble. I may not be able to help, but at least you'll have someone to talk to. Promise me."

"I promise." He said shakily, and I could see the fear in his eyes. I hated them. I hated his parents for making him feel scared to go back home. No one should feel like that. "But worry about yourself for now. Not that you should be worried," He stumbled, "But you've got other things to concern yourself for now. However, when you're all settled, I expect you to worry about me." He said with a sly smirk and I laughed a bit, my throat still feeling swollen and sticky from crying.

He leaned forwards and kissed my forwards lightly, and I felt electricity shoot all the way from his lips to my toes. I took his hand and kissed his wrist, right where you would measure your pulse, then his other wrist. I don't know why.

I then hugged him one last time, and moved away to leave the station with Remus. People seemed to melt out of the way, news of what had happened to my mother had obviously spread through the school, and people all gave me sad looks. Some people I didn't know wished me luck. Remus put a protective arm around my shoulder and his parents moved in closer to me.

It was a relief to walk through the station doors and feel fresh air against my raw face.

We drove in silence for about an hour, then I opened my mouth to ask a question I had been wanting to ask for a while. "I wasdjhngrjek" I gurgled. All three Lupins turned around to look at me, though Hope turned back to look at the road after a glance, she was driving.

I cleared my throat, getting rid of the post-crying gunk and tried again, "I was wondering. You must have known my dad, Lyall. What was he like?"

A moment of silence.

"I did. We were all friends at school; him, your mother, and I, even though your mother was in Ravenclaw and your father and I were Gryffindor."

Remus held out his hand, and I took it.

"Atle was very special in very many ways. An incredibly gifted wizard with extraordinary powers. Of course, he was very modest about it and never considered himself to be any better than me. He often got into arguments with teachers, because he didn't think what they said 'sounded right'. He was also charming, you know. A right looker, too. A lot of the girls fancied him, but he had eyes only for your mother, Gemma. His family moved to England from Norway when he was ten, and when he first came to Hogwarts, he hardly knew a word of English, but he picked it up fast enough and everyone admired his Scandinavian features, the blue eyes, blonde hair, high cheekbones, and tanned skin. And of course the slight accent he spoke with." 

I was fascinated, and was almost holding my breath, craving for more.

"Your parents were like characters out of a book. Both bright, and they seemed to understand each other's minds like no one else quite could. When they left school, almost everyone knew about them, and everyone knew that they would do well. Together." He sighed.

"But then disturbances started erupting all around, dark wizards. His parents were murdered and he received threats from these activists more and more frequently, so they went into hiding. That's when Gemma found out she was pregnant with you. They were thrilled, obviously, but worried. The pregnancy wasn't particularly smooth and your birth nearly killed her. They were happy for a few months, but word had spread that Gemma Heatherstead had given birth to a girl. The dark wizards assumed correctly that Atle was the father, and redirected their threats towards you, saying they would take you from them. He couldn't stand the thought of them taking you, and moved back to his home country instead, trying to act as though he no longer had any affiliations to your mother or you. Your mother was broken, and lost her powers, as you know, and did her best to hide your powers from the world so they assumed your father was someone else and left you alone. I haven't heard from him since, until last week."

I wiped a few tears from under my eyes. I hadn't realised I had cried, I had been so wrapped in what Lyall was telling me. He looked back at me with a sort of tenderness in his eyes. I had been over at Remus' house so much that he was almost like a father to me. "He really is excited to meet you, you know. And he isn't a bad person. Leaving your mother with you was the hardest thing he ever did, and I know he regrets it, even though it kept you safe. I'm not saying I agree that leaving you was the best option, not at all," He added, when he saw that his wife, Hope, sent him a look, "But he does love you."

"Thank you for telling me about him." I choked, and squeezed Remus' hand. He looked at me and smiled timidly, and ran his thumb slowly up and down the back of my hand.

~ A/N ~

So I'm thinking one more chapter, then the whole prologue book is over. I hope you liked it, and I encourage you to read the main book for some proper Sirius Black fangirl-food.

Love y'all,

21stCenturyMarauder <3

P.S. Two updates in one day, eh?