Chapter Five

It was a Saturday, about a month since I'd started at Hogwarts, and Halloween was in only seven days, apparently, it's quite big in the wizarding world, so I was quite excited.

I was sitting in the common room in front of the fire, reading a book I'd found in the library about potions. It was quite late now, so Remus, James and Peter, as well as all the girls, had gone up to their dormitories. Sirius was lying on his side with his head propped on his hand in the squashy couch beside my armchair, playing with Mallory.

I had grown quite close to my new friends at Hogwarts, and remained close to Remus, but I got particularly well along with Sirius. We had the same sense of humour and knew exactly what to do if the other was upset about something.
"Hey Sirius?"

"Yeah?" Sirius muttered, laughing a bit as Mallory leapt up to playfully bite his finger.

"How did you, James and Peter meet? It seemed as if you'd known each other for a long time when I first met you on the train?"

He snorted out a laugh, "Ha, no. We met each other on the platform. I had just gone through the wall, when I was knocked over by someone zooming along on their trolley. The boy, James, laughed a little, then helped me up. I was about to tell him to go stick his wand up his arse, when we were both knocked over by this other boy. When we'd gotten up, and the boy was hysterically apologizing to us, I made eye contact with James, and we both burst out laughing. Peter, the other boy, joined in, and after that we just got along amazingly."

"How interesting," I noted.

I shivered, and dragged my chair closer to the fire.

"Are you cold?" Sirius asked incredulously, "We've been sat in front of the fire for what, three hours now?"

"Yes, I am. Has it really been that long? Well, I'm not getting any warmer here, so I'm just going up to the dormitory, gossip with the girls, then sleep." I said, getting up.

"Nooooo you can't go!" Sirius exclaimed.

"And why not? Will you miss me?"

"No, but if you go you'll take Mallory with you," He smirked, and I scowled at him. "Plus, you can't go to bed cold, let me warm you up first," He said, scooting over to one side of the armchair.

I stood there, considering his suggestion. Would I like to cuddle with my admittedly attractive friend to warm up before going to bed, or would I like to chat with my other friends? Or I could cuddle, then wake my friends up and tell them about it. They all think we would be a great couple, but we're just friends. Friends who cuddle for warmth.

Penguins, basically.

"Ok then, but not for long, only till I'm a little warmer."

He grinned naughtily at me, scooted further back into the couch he was lying in, and held up one arm. I laid myself gingerly beside him, then relaxed as Sirius wrapped his arm around my waist. He'd actually become a lot like my brother, all of the guys really.

James was hilarious and so random- you never knew what could happen around him. He was the most protective of all of them, and though he pranced around acting as though he thought he owned the world, I could tell he really was nervous that people didn't like him.

Remus was the same as he'd ever been, except he was flourishing here at Hogwarts. I think he could be benefiting from having some guy friends, but he's still disappearing every month. I'll look into it tomorrow I told myself.

Peter was kind of weird, but once you got past that, he really was a charm. He'd do anything for any of us, and you feel so good about yourself, even though we all knew how little he like himself.

Then there's the girls. I've made good friends with all of them, and even though they don't hang out as much with the boys as I do, we stick together and function well even though we're quite a large group.

"What are you thinking about?" I heard Sirius ask lowly from behind me, "Your hair changed colour. It's this sort of warm auburn, kind of like Lily's."

I picked up a strand and examined it. It did kind of look like Lily's.

"Not much, just thinking about how much nicer Hogwarts is than my last school. I can't believe I'm a metamorphmagus, though. I mean, when I first came here, I thought I'd be rubbish, thought they'd throw me out, and then I found out that I have some rare talent. I'm still rubbish at everything but potions and transfiguration though." I replied. The think about being with Sirius, is that I didn't feel like he was going to judge me for anything I said, like think that I was pretentious and big-headed for mentioning my magical 'talent'. I could just voice my opinions.

"Yeah, well, we all have our strengths and we all have enough brain power to work on our weaknesses." I could feel his hot breaths on my neck, making my insides tingle pleasantly.

"Wise words from an airhead." I giggled.

He let out a muffled 'Oi!' as he made to tickle me.

"Stop, that hurts!" I gasped in between spouts of laughter. I started to squirm away from him, which ended in me on the floor and Sirius laughing at me.

A thought came to me, and my eyes narrowed in mock suspicion. "Hey. I thought you said you wanted me to stay for Mallory's sake, but you had to push her off of you so that I could come and warm up with you."

It was hard to tell in the glow of the fire, which had actually started to successfully warm me (though I'm not sure that that's what warmed me), but it seemed as though Sirius' face had blushed.

He cleared his throat, and got up, pulling me up off the floor and on to my feet with him. "It's a bit late. I think I should go to bed."

"Alright then, weirdo. C'mere." I said, as I opened my arms for a goodnight hug. He wrapped his arms tightly around me, lifted me a bit off the ground and spun me once around, as he did every night. He then kissed the top of my head, something he didn't do every night. Something he had never done. He gave me a serene grin then raced up the stairs to the boy's dormitory.

Strange..

A/N

Sorry, sorry, and sorry AGAIN, for updating so slowly. I promise I'll update faster now. Honest. Cross my heart and hope to die.

So I'm starting with a lil bit of someth'n someth'n, but as I said earlier, I do want to keep in mind that they're still bubbies, ok?

(Shameless pleading) Please recommend the book to your friends and fellow Potterheads, I'll try to update once every 1-2 weeks :)

Love y'all,

21st Century Marauder