Christmas

Peter and Remus arrived with their parents a few days later.

Lyall and Hope fussed over me and though I allowed myself to appear mildly annoyed by it, I loved having the attention. James' parents doted over me, too, and I was reminded of what it felt like to have loving, caring parents.

On Christmas Ever we'd all sat in front of the fireplace and sung Christmas carols, almost all the lyrics had been twisted into something crude by James. Sirius had let me braid his hair, and he'd braided mine in turn. Then we'd pinned Remus down and made small pleats in his hair, too. He told us he would cut it at the next possible chance.

Despite having gone to bed rather late that night, and then spent most of the night and early morning hours talking and laughing, we woke up early and sprinted down the stairs to the Christmas tree, just like we had when we'd been children. It was then I realised I hadn't really celebrated Christmas for three years.

This time last year I'd been trudging through a snow storm with my father, tracking after someone who had information. He'd frozen to death before we found him and my father had muttered something about "stupid foreign wizards".

After the presents we enjoyed a delicious dinner catered by Fleamont, who was actually a very good chef. The rest of the day was spent lolling around, playing board games and wriggling around in the snow outside. I was the happiest I could remember being.

That evening, I showered and put on a nice evening gown before dinner. I spent a long time looking at myself in the mirror. I could see the scars and marks on my back if the dress slipped down a bit, I'd have to remember to adjust it as good as I could so no one would notice. There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I called, I realised I'd been hogging the bathroom the 'young people' in the house were using.

Sirius stepped in, looking very handsome in an emerald green suit, a lighter green shirt which set of hints of green in his otherwise grey eyes. His hair as smooth, yet ruffled as always.

"Sorry, I was just looking for- ah!" He spotted the watch Euphemea and Flea had given him that morning, he'd probably forgotten it after taking it off to shower.

"That's ok. Thank you, again, for your gifts. I really love them." I told him.

He'd given me a collection of Bronte books, because 'badass girls, thought of you', and a small collection of vinyls of my favourite bands, including Led Zep and Pink Floyd.

"Not at all. And thank you, can't wait to try out some of the stash you gave me." He smiled and I felt as though I could melt. We'd been getting along very well over the holiday so far and I could feel myself falling.

We both made to talk at the same time. I felt myself blushing and avoided looking in the mirror . Seeing how red I knew I was would probably only make me more so.

I motioned for him to talk.

"You look really pretty in that dress." He said.

"Oh, thank you- funny, I was just about to say you looked handsome in your suit." I laughed airily, my entire body squirming, "Problem is, I can't get the top part of the zipper up. I was going to ask Remus-"

"I'll get it for you." Sirius said, holding his hands up.

"Oh." I said, simply and stupidly. Why was I all so flustered.

I turned around and moved my long ponytail out of the way for him. I'd tied it up with a black ribbon. I looked at the dress in the mirror, avoiding looking at my face or at him. It was a plain white evening gown with a high, lacey neck, which was why I had struggled getting it all the way up; I was going for the black and white look.

I almost shivered when Sirius touched my neck, though his fingers were warm. I heard the zipper go up, and felt him brush away some of the stray strands of hair so they wouldn't get caught in it. If only he knew how he was making me feel, just by touching me so casually. His fingers lingered only for a second at the nape of my neck and I closed my eyes when I felt his breath on me.

"All done." He said, his voice low.

I turned around and smiled. "Excellent, thank you Sirius. We should go down before the others start moaning about us being late for dinner."

He looked at me, but didn't move just yet. He was blocking the doorway.

"Sirius?"

He let out a long breath then moved aside a bit, resting his hand on my back and leading me out of the bathroom. "Yeah, you're right. They're all hangry little devils. You are, too, so let's make sure you get some sustenance before you go berserk."

We joined the others for dinner, which was delicious, but I could hardly taste the food. My mind was spinning, all I could think of was Sirius' touch and that I wanted more of it.

I needed some time alone so I could deal with all my raging hormones.

"Could you please excuse me from the table, I'm not feeling too well. I think I just need to lie down for a bit." I said, getting up and picking my plate off the table to bring it to the kitchen.

"Are you alright, Ollie?" Remus asked looking concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine, really, I just need some time down. I'll be better soon."

They all smiled at me and I moved out of the room, relieved to having being granted some time alone, away from Sirius' stare.

I walked up to the attic and laid down under my sheets, thinking back to the small encounter in the bathroom. My body felt as if it were on fire. I listened to hear if anyone had decided to come up to check on me, and when I didn't hear anything, I moved my hand under the sheets and pulled my dress up, all the while thinking of Sirius.