Chapter Thirteen

I jumped as someone messed up my hair before sitting beside me. It was the morning of the first exam: charms, and I had got up early to go down to the Great Hall, eat a good breakfast and do some last minute revision to make sure all the information was fresh.

"If you study any more your brain will burst and you'll no longer be able to think when the examination starts, you know." 

I looked over at Sirius and scowled, "Just because you don't seem to consider these exams of any importance, it doesn't mean that no one else should." I snapped but closed the book, knowing he had a point.

"What do you think he'll ask us to do?" I asked.

"For the thousandth time, I don't know, Ollie. Just stress down, you're brilliant in Charms anyway, you'll ace it." He replied, pushing his hair back as he looked down at his plate and considered what he wanted to eat.

"You should have something with fruit and maybe oats to give you long term energy." I suggested.

He looked at me with an expression of mock disgust and helped himself to no less than five pancakes and poured maple syrup over them, watching me with an amused expression as my eyes grew more and more alarmed by the amount of syrup.

"Oh, nice. Pancakes today!" James had arrived, and he too helped himself to a stack of pancakes, though he did cut up some banana to eat with it.

Lily stumbled into the Great Hall with her nose in a book, her face contorted with concentration.

"Morning, Evans!" James called out. Lily pretended not to hear.

One by one, the others piled in, all in a state of stress and anxiety. Sirius and James, however, seemed completely at ease as they started throwing blueberries at each other, then trying to throw it into the others mouth.

I started to relax as Remus, Septima and I started quizzing each other and going over the material.

Then, too soon, it was ten minutes 'til Flitwick expected us outside his classroom. He had told us that he would be testing us individually. 

I walked down the corridor, still revising with Remus and Septima, though as soon as we arrived by the classroom we fell into nervous silence.

I sat down on the floor with my back against the wall taking deep breaths and remembering everything we had done this year.

"You're humming," Sirius sat down beside me and interrupted my process of thought once more, "The first person just went it."

"What?" I exclaimed, how could I not have realised someone had already been called in, "And what? I'm not humming?"

"You were. Cashmere by Led Zeppelin."

"Oh. Sorry, was it disturbing?" I asked, worried that I had annoyed the people around me.

"No, you could hardly hear it, but I was standing right next to you."

"Oh." I said, I hadn't realised that either.

I looked up, my heart in my throat as Flitwick's door opened and Alice walked out looking shaky.

"Ms Heatherstead, you next!" Squeaked Flitwick merrily and my eyes widened as I took another steadying breath and stood up.

The was a chorus of, "Good luck." From almost everyone and I smiled nervously as I stepped into the classroom.

"Good morning, Ms Heatherstead. Your task it to make this pineapple tap dance across the desk for me."

I nodded, I remembered how to do that! I raised my wand and spoke the incantation as I lightly tapped the pineapple with the tip of the wand.

I sucked in a breath and felt my pulse through my entire body for half a second before the pineapple grew tiny feet, and did indeed tap dance across the table. I let out a sigh of relief and smiled at Professor Flitwick, who beamed back at me.