Taken

The next weeks I spent a lot of time with Oliver. He was a sweet boy; perhaps a bit too sweet. Although we'd talk lots and definitely enjoyed each others company I felt like something was missing. We lacked the banter that I shared with the boys, whenever we disagreed about something he'd just turn quiet or tell me I was right rather than engage in a playful argument. 

I also felt that the more time I spent with Oliver, the more distance grew between me and the boys and though a romantic relationship was new and exciting, I didn't want to replace four great friendships with one decent relationship. I noticed that the boys started bickering more, too, or just sat in silence together. It was unnerving.

My classes were all going well enough, and I kept up with my morning routines which had now grown lonely without the presence of Sirius. Oliver had asked where I went every morning but I didn't feel like sharing it with him. He even tried asking the girls in my dorm if they knew; this had resulted in a row.

So all in all the past weeks had on the surface been quite nice weeks but left me feeling rather hollow and sad, which is why I found myself sitting by the lake one day, rather than going to DADA class. I'd brought with me a flask of hot chocolate and several blankets to keep me warm, and was reading a book about ancient Nordic runes, absentmindedly burning small holes in the carpet of snow that still decked the school grounds. My father had told me that modern magic often forgot about the strength of runes; that modern magic had in fact forgotten about most magic that didn't include a wand or cauldron. My fingers reached under my thick coat and I traced the old scars that marked my shoulders.

"The old ones will watch over us, Olimpia. But only if we are the worthy of their protection."

I had never really known what to think of my fathers superstitions and pagan religions, but I'd supposed that in long years of solitude he might have found refuge in the belief of higher powers.

"I hadn't pegged you down as a skipper, Ollie."

I looked sideways at James. "Hadn't you?" I asked. 

He looked disappointed by how unstartled I was by his sneaking up on me for a moment before he huffed out some air and sat beside me in the snow. "Not really, you're too smart. But then again, you probably don't need to be in class, you know it all already."

"I'm not that smart," I muttered, "How'd you find me, anyway?"

"I wasn't actually looking for you, not that I'm not thrilled to have found you," He looked away, "Had a row with Sirius and left class."

"Left class or stormed out?" I asked, to which he huffed. "What's going on between you two, though?"

"I don't know, really. Everything just feels like it's out of balance. I've got this uneasy feeling in my chest, like something bad is about to happen." He told me, "And Sirius is just pissy all the time, like he's got a bloody mandrake up his ass. And whenever we mention you, like to invite you to do stuff or something, he'll get even more pissy and just say that you won't want to be with us now that you're taken."

"Well that's dragonshit. If I'm being honest, I'd much rather be with you lot than Oliver, turns out he's quite a bore. And not a great kisser either."

This made James laugh, and I felt a warm glow in my chest for the first time in a while.

"And yeah, I feel the same. Somethings not right. Somethings changed and I don't like it. It's as though the air itself is tighter, anxious."

We sat there for a while, catching up. We didn't laugh, and smiles were scarce but we sat close to each other, sharing our warmth and blasting holes in the snow.

Turns out, the thing we'd both sensed was just around the corner. When I returned to my dorm room that evening a letter was waiting for me on my pillow. It was from my father.