Chapter Seven

"Olimpia, will you please pay attention when I am speaking!" Professor McGonagall was glaring at me, her voice sharp.

I slowly looked up, zooming back into the present. My mind had been far away, thinking about Sirius, and my supposed feelings about him.

"Sorry McGonagall.." I slurred, my head was filled with a strange mist.

"Could you show us how to turn a twig into a needle, Miss Heatherstead, or have you been asleep all lesson?"

My mind was slowly focusing on what was going on. Transfiguration. I had read something about this. "I might be able to if I had a twig, professor." I told her, my voice dipped in a light coat of sarcasm. The class started laughing, and Lily who was sitting next to me pointed out that there lay no less than five twigs on the desk in front of me.
"Right then."
I cleared my throat, muttered what I thought could work and waved my wand in the way I thought seemed most probable to work.

Hoping not to be further embarrassed, I looked down at where the twig had laid and now saw a shining silver needle. I looked at the professor, proud of my very lucky accomplishment.

"Well done Miss Heatherstead, but I expect you will pay more attention in the future. Five points to Gryffindor."
A cheer erupted from the glass and I grinned at Lily, then looked quickly towards Sirius and saw him giving me a thumbs up. I felt my face heating up and quickly turned away before he could notice.

Lily grinned knowingly at me, so I elbowed her. I didn't want my cover to be blown, though I didn't quite know what cover that was.

The rest of the lesson progressed fine, and when it had been concluded, we raced down the stairs to get good seats for dinner.

After dinner, Remus and James asked me if I'd like to join them by the lake to eat some desert. James asked if I could ask Lily.

I didn't really want to, I was quite tired and really wanted to go to bed, but Lily pointed out that Sirius would be there too, and that convinced me, though I feel stupid and pathetic for it.

Lily didn't fancy going though, James had developed quite a thing for her, but I told her she could watch Sirius for signs that he could like me. Wanting to convince me he did, she agreed.

I changed out of my robes, into a plain pale blue T-shirt and a pair of straight jeans. The evenings were still warm, but it was October after all, and I didn't want to be cold so I pulled on a lavender hoodie too.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were grey, my hair a cold blonde. Septima came up behind me and played with the tips of my hair. She too was coming down to the lake. I watched her through the mirror. Her chestnut eyes looked greener in the evening light, and her hair flowed a bit in the wind. I wish I looked more like her. At once my appearance started to change, and not wanting to show her what I had been thinking, I forced it back.
"Are you nervous?" We made eye contact through the mirror, and I nodded, "You shouldn't be, you see him every other day. You're just more aware now, that's really just a good thing."

I smiled, turned around and hugged her.

Lily came out of the bathroom, and we walked down the stairs, met by the groans of "I can't understand how it takes so long for girls to get dressed!".

"Well at least we look nice, so don't complain!" Septima said smiling.

As we walked down the hill towards the lake, Remus and I talked a bit, catching up. It felt like we hadn't spoken for a while. James was tailing Lily, talking to her and throwing dandelions at her and smearing them over his cheeks, dying them yellow. Just as we approached the lake, I could see the boys had come down earlier with a bag of food and a blanket, someone grabbed me from behind, threw me over their shoulder and started to run down. 

I smelt his hair and relaxed, but screamed all the same, "Sirius!! Put me down, you idiot!" The last thing I wanted him to do was to put me down, I could feel his warmth, his bones and muscles moving as he ran, his chest rising and falling fast, laughing and shouting back, "Never!"

Everyone around me was laughing, I was laughing and screaming.

When we came to the blanket, Sirius dropped me. Though my thighs and, well, bum hurt, he had dropped me carefully. "You bloody troglodyte." 

Everyone laughed harder. We sat on the blanket, eating chocolates and cakes. We started up a game of Truth or Dare, and I leaned my head on Remus' shoulder. Sirius glanced at me once or twice but I'm sure I was imagining it.

I was half hoping, half dreading someone asking me or Sirius a question or daring us to do something, but nothing of the sort happened. Far sooner than I would have liked, night fell and we had to sneak back up to the castle. I hugged each of the boys and walked up the stairs, the smell of Sirius lingering in my nose.

Just as I was falling asleep, I heard Lily, "By the way, he's in over his head with you."

My head spun, and my stomach churned. But it was wonderful.