Chapter Seventeen - Epilogue

I looked in the mirror. I was pale, and had dark rings around my eyes. I hadn't slept well last night. The black dress I was wearing made me look even paler.

I unzipped the back and shrugged it off, now standing in just my underwear, and looked around the room. My old room. I went to the closet and rummaged through it with a strange sort of calm, until I found what I was looking for. A white summer dress with small floral patterns in pastel colours. I pulled it over my head and straightened it down.

"Ok, Remus, you can come in now." I called out. 

He walked in hesitantly, but seeing that I was dressed he relaxed. His eyes lingered on the dress, then said, "You look beautiful."

I hugged him. He was wearing a black suit. "Thanks. It's for her. She always said she loved this dress on me."

We walked down the stairs and I put on a white pair of canvas shoes, hoping they wouldn't be stained by the grass. Today was one of the most perfect summer days we had seen in a while; not too warm, not too cold, and a slight breeze. I let my hair down out of it's ponytail and checked my watch. The ceremony would start in five minutes. I didn't want to go,  but I thought I ought to pay my respects to her, keep a stiff upper lip. I felt as though if I could make it through the funeral, I could prove to myself that I could live with only my memories of her. It was also only five minutes 'til I met my dad.

"Let's go." I said to Remus who nodded.

I grabbed his hand and ran out of the house and across the grass, down the hill towards the little village centre where the church stood. I made sure not to trip and get mud on my dress, but it felt wonderful to run. I giggled, and looked to Remus who gave me a lopsided grin and spun me around. I laughed properly now, jumping up and down to make my dress poof out around me.

Remus laughed too, and pulled me further down the hill. Then he stopped, to pick me a daisy, and put it behind my ear. I bent down and picked him one too, which he put behind his ear.

We stumbled a bit further down, until we were only a few meters away from the church and slowed down. Hope and Lyall were standing by the doors and greeting those who came with a smile and a hug or shake of hands. They had asked me yesterday if I wanted to do it too, but I didn't want all the people in the village's pity. It was to be a small funeral, for the people in the area who had known my mum. 

I gave them both a hug before walking in and sitting down in the first row of seats and listening to the sermon. A part of me wanted to stand up on my seat and look around for the man who was my father, but another part just wanted me to sink into the hard, wooden seat and rest my head on Remus.

I did the latter.

--

About an hour later, everyone stood up and murmured a prayer, or a message of well-being to Gemma. I didn't believe in a God, nor did I believe that my mother could hear anything I said now, so I kept my mouth shut and looked at Remus. His eyes were closed and his lips moved quickly. Sun streamed in through the tinted windows, and bathed him in an orange light. His eyelashes cast long shadows over his cheeks, and there was a small cut right under his eye.

"Remus." I whispered.

His eyes opened, and he whispered, "Yeah?" Back.

I reached into my little shoulder bag, pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to him. He unfolded it and looked quickly at me, his eyes wide.

I had painted him a picture of him and a wolf, standing side by side. I was not a great artist, but I didn't think it mattered really.

He opened his mouth, but seemed to struggle to find words.

"I know. And I love you." I said simply, and though he smiled nervously at me, but he looked tremendously relieved. 

A chorus of "Amen" resounded through the room, and people started to leave the church. We had organised a little memorial-like thing afterwards at the Lupin household, with lots of food and music to remind people of the fun times they had spent with my mother. I looked forward to it, an opportunity to be happy with Remus before  I left without having to feel guilty.

"Olimpia," I felt a soft hand on my shoulder and turned around, "This is your-"

"My father." I said. There, standing between nervous-looking Hope and Lyall Lupin, stood a very tall, broad man with long, dark blond hair. He had a short beard, but his most prominent features were his icy blue eyes set behind thick, but tame, eyebrows.

"Aren't you quite the stereotype." I said, but almost immediately wanted to smack myself in the head for it. First impression: down the drain.

To my surprise, he smiled. He even laughed, a deep, rumbling laugh, but it was definitely a sign of amusement rather than disappointment. 

I didn't quite know what to do, so I held out my hand, "Olimpia Heatherstead."

He looked at it for a moment, then took it in his own, large hand, "Atle Myrddin." He replied in a deep voice.

I hesitated for a moment, then hugged him. He smelt like fresh air and coffee. He put his arms around me and held me, and said in a low voice, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ollie."

~ A/N ~

That's it for this 'prologue book'. The first chapters of the next book, Celestial, will be out soon, so keep your eyes open!

Love y'all,

21stCenturyMarauder <3