Ch 29 - Distant

A few days passed. Almost a week.

He'd been ignoring her. Having private calls. Private meetings. Private everything.

He'd been distant.

She always had her food delivered to her room, so they wouldn't dine together either.

She was permitted to go out anytime she liked, but his bodyguard would have to accompany her everywhere. She'd have to be back by 9PM, too. A curfew, you could say.

Her father was still out there, so she wouldn't have it any other way. This was good, for now. Just until she started feeling safe again. Just until he felt she was safe again. In other words, until he handled this.

He wouldn't talk to her, still. Or look at her, sit with her, even acknowledge her.

She didn't know if he was still angry at her, or if he didn't trust her enough to inform her of his plans anymore. Either way, it was bad.

She slept lonely nights in her fresh white sheets. She'd go out on lonely walks with her sculptured-looking bodyguard. She'd eat alone. Read alone. It started overwhelming her.

She was now in her room, wrapped up in her silky blankets. It was cozy. Quiet. It made her think a lot.

Maybe he wasn't angry at her anymore. Because if he was angry, he wouldn't be silent about it. Right?

Maybe he just didn't trust her.

But that would be worse...way worse.

She'd rather have him angry at her than that. Anything but that.

But still, she showed she didn't trust him first. So she chewed on her feelings and took it in.

Her feelings. They were a mess. Every night before bed, she'd stare up at her boring ceiling and think about everything.

Including her father.

Would he actually do this to her? Just because she ran away from home? How would he even find her... or better yet, why would this be his response? Or why would he respond now since it has been a little over two years...

There must be something else.

Whatever it was, she was sure Natsu knew. But he wouldn't talk to her. He wouldn't even greet her when they'd pass each other in his halls.

She noticed he went to work a few times. Not everyday, though. He must've been arranging deals with his lawyers, meeting up with his business partners, and fixing this mess.

Or he might've been making it worse.

Who knows.

Either way, the trial wouldn't begin until two weeks from now. So they had time. He had time.

If anything happened to him...if the law rules against him...she'd never forgive herself.

And that was one thing Natsu would never want her to feel. Guilt. He'd rather cut someone open again than have her feel that.

She just hopes they get through this. Because if they don't, that would mean a life sentence in prison.

She shook her head, trying to shake out her thoughts.

She was sinking into her fluffy pillow, looking up at that same ceiling again. White, flawless, and perfectly boring. Her thoughts rallied. She tried not to think too much of Natsu right now.

Or of her father.

As the days passed, she became less and less surprised that he'd do something like this to her.