Ch 48 - His Nightmare

She squinted her eyes open. The room was dark. Cold.

She was shivering against her fluffy pillow as she drifted her blankets tighter around her body.

Still shaking.

She felt for Natsu's body aside her. Again and again with her palm. Before she realized it was empty.

She sighed.

This was similar to many, many other nights that she had awoken in the middle of the night and he wasn't there.

He would tell her he was in the bathroom, pouring himself some water, or whatever else. Sleeping next to Lucas.

But this time, this time... she was going to wait.

She was going to wait because she felt it.

How he had been acting earlier at the bonfire—she felt it. In her stomach. Something was wrong. How he reacted when Gray announced his wedding. As if it brought back memories. As if he'd be rather be damned than let her or Lucas go after what happened the last time.

And so she waited.

The clock ticked and it ticked and it ticked.

Twenty minutes had passed, and still no Natsu.

She sat up the bed, circling her arms around her knees, looking at the door. Awaiting. In slight worry now.

Forty minutes passed.

She let out a concerned breath as she slid her feet into her fluffy slippers and lit on her bed-side lamp.

She walked out of her bedroom door. The house was dark. Empty.

She walked to her son's room that was deeper into the hall, and widened open the door.

Checking for Natsu.

Her son was peacefully asleep, his little chest rising and falling with each short breath of his. Innocent. Mindless.

She smiled as she walked into his room and lifted up his blankets, covering him well before laying a kiss on his forehead.

But, still. No Natsu.

She walked out of his room and gently closed the door.

She checked the bathrooms. All of them. Then went down the stairs, checking the living room. Kitchen.

Completely empty.

Her heart began pounding.

Where was he.

She went to the window, checking for his car. If it was still here. If he was still here.

And it was. Parked right behind hers.

She narrowed her brows, looking closer.

And her eyes slightly widened.

She wrapped her white, silky robe around body from the closet-room aside the front-door, and stepped out of the house. Into their front yard.

And there he was, seated on their front balcony. On a plastic chair, facing ahead. Facing the gates. His arms crossed—biceps suffocating his sleeves. His leg bouncing.