Ch 50 - The Gates

He gently laid her on the bed.

It was... a rough night.

He fucked and he fucked until her body gave out and collapsed onto his in the steamy shower.

More for him than for her. He needed it. To relax. She knew he needed it.

And so he held and washed her. Every part of her. He was still hazy, still drunk. Not in his right mind. But he did it anyway.

He then changed her into some bedtime clothes before laying her down on their cozy bed.

And now, he was changing into some sweatpants and a black shirt as she watched him with half-open eyes. Fulfilled eyes.

And before she knew it, he was walking out. Shutting the door behind him. She heard his steps down the stairs, and the front door open before he walked out. Into that damned front yard.

She allowed her eyes to slowly shut. She needed some rest. Some rest before she went down there, and had that talk.

.oOo.

She stepped out, into their front balcony.

He was sitting there. Arms crossed and head leaning back on the window. Looking ahead with half-open eyes. Tired eyes.

She sat aside him.

He didn't flinch. More unbothered than anything.

A moment passed as silence lingered between them. It was heavy.

"It's cold out here." She spoke. "Do you want me to get you a jacket?"

He slightly shook his head, still leaned against that window. "I don't get cold."

"Mm."

Silence fell once more. Both of them staring ahead, avoiding the other's gaze. Maybe for good reason.

"The meeting with Makarov went well today." He said. His voice low and heavy. Almost like his words were forced.

Maybe it was just the extensive alcohol in his system.

"The principle?"

He slightly nodded,

"The gifted program for our son will be ready for him next year."

Her lip twitched.

Our son.

She still wasn't used to it.

It sounded beautiful on his lips.

"I'm glad." She said. "But, why were you so persistent on not changing his school? I know he likes it there but—"

"His friends are there." He said. "Elias and Nala will be going there next year, too. I want him to be close to family, to us."

She hummed in agreement.

And then it was quiet again. She could almost feel the owls watching them. Hear their quiet wings flap.

She looked up upon the night sky. The stars, sparkling from their space above. Floating so high—yet felt so close. Warm. So many, too. Like they were silver glitters to the black sky. Diamonds.