Ch 54 - A Fresh Start

She awoke in the midst of her slumber from the cool chill that ran down her spine. It was almost 4AM, and their large room was swallowed by darkness and coldness. Even the ceiling had been clouded by the night, for she could not tell where she was if it weren't for the familiar scented blankets that coated her. She tapped the bed aside her in search for his warmth, only to find it cool and empty.

"Natsu?..." her low and fragile voice called.

She mustered up the strength and lifted herself up the bed.

"Natsu?" She called again, looking left and right, as if she could see a thing.

With a sigh, she landed her feet to the ground, slipping into her fluffy slippers. With a long yawn, she walked herself out of their bedroom. The halls were bright, at least.

Her first instinct was but a mother's thought—to check on her son. But she had to remind herself that he wasn't sleeping at home tonight. Her mind couldn't help but relive the reason why...

She went down the stairs. Taking her final step, she looked to the living room, roaming her tired eyes in search for her husband, only to find him laying on their couch with an arm over his head. He happened to be without a shirt, she noticed. Perhaps he wasn't as chilled as she was.

"Nastu?..." she called, moving her little feet towards him.

She was wearing her silky pearl shorts and top for night-sleep, so the cool air chilled her thighs and arms, and hardened her poking nipples that could be seen from afar.

He opened his eyes and turned to her.

He wasn't sleeping. Just resting.

"What are you doing here?..." she stood beside his couch, allowing a glance at the kitchen floor where a bloody body was laying just a few hours ago, only to find it spotless and clean.

"Resting." He said, and she turned back to him.

"But... why here?" She sat where his feet laid. "Why not on our bed?"

"Couldn't sleep there."

She felt her heart ache at that. As if it had been squeezed. Because she had understood what he meant. What his tone implied.

He couldn't sleep there because she was there.

"I left you asleep. Why did you wake up?" He said.

"I—I was cold,
"And I needed some heat... but you weren't there to cuddle with."

He didn't respond.

So she laid a hand on his arm, looking into his jade eyes.

"Can you talk to me, please?..."

"I don't want to talk, Lucy. I just need some space."

She paused for a moment. Perhaps irritated. Unjustifiably, yes. But she couldn't help herself.

"Why are you so upset with me?" She blurted out.

"Why am I so upset with you?" His tone harshened at her naivety. "Are you serious?"

"I—I know what I did was a mistake... but I thought we moved passed it."

"You moved passed it." He said.

She swallowed.

"You could've gotten yourself killed, Lucy. And you didn't console me. You acted on your own, as if you didn't have a husband who lived for you. Or a son who needed his mother.
"And all of that because you wanted to handle it on your own.
"Where did that get you?!"