34: The Sound of Rain

I hear nothing

I hear nothing. Nothing, but the sound of the falling rain; the gentle plops and drops, the calming scents of the forest, wafting in through the mouth of the small cave.

With my body, shamelessly cuddled up against a person I never thought I could feel such peace with. But maybe it's his scent that makes me so calm. An aroma, a person, I've known my entire life.

I want to see his face. I want to know what his expression says. I want to know what his feelings are right now. With some effort, I muster my courage and pull away from the safety and warmth of my head being tucked under his chin. From my perch on his lap, I stare down at him. His eyes, I've never seen them so warm, so innocent. They glow like honey even in this dim cave. How is that even possible. How is he so stunning?

He wasn't expecting any of this, I can tell. He almost looks as though someone pulled out a rug from under him. Like his mind is trying to catch up with what's happening.

His cheeks are pink.

He's adorable.

I can't help it. My eyes drop down to his lips.

They part when he realises I'm staring at them. My eyes flicker back up to his eyes. He's shocked. His honey eyes tell me that clearly.

So I do something stupid, totally unlike me and completely right.

I lean down and peck his lips.

"Y/n," I can barely hear his voice, it comes out a whisper. A breath that I feel on my lips.

"Y/n! Jimin!"

And just like that, the spell is broken.

I hear the panic in the voice of the third person. The one who calls out our names.

My chest collapses. My stomach drops into a black pit. The odd confidence that possessed me, melts away like it was never there. Leaving not one trace.

I jump to my feet. What am I doing?! Sitting on someone's lap as though I know what I'm doing.

With the last dregs of my bravery, I spare one last glance at Jimin's face;

His eyes are not golden, glowing honey anymore.

They more resemble coal in the pit of a fireplace. They're totally dark.

"Here!" I shout with my full voice. I run to the mouth of the cave, I see two figures running through the dim, rainy forest.

"Thank heavens!" Soomin crashes into me at full force, gripping me in the tightest hug of the century. Her thick wet raincoat suffocating my, now cold skin.

"That was terrifying!" Mr Kim said, from behind his daughter. "We thought we'd have to call the police to help search for you." He walks past Soomin and I to check up on Jimin. "Are you alright,  Jimin?"

There's only a low hum in reply.

Once Soomin finally lets me go she observes me, clad only in a black singlet, and slips out of her thick raincoat, throwing it over my shoulders. She's wearing something long-sleeved underneath as well.

"You must be freezing!" She gasps.

Vote? Yes, oh, yes.

Unedited.