5: Phobia

I narrowed my eyes, glaring at the despicable creature before me

I narrowed my eyes, glaring at the despicable creature before me. Shadows hung over me as light filtered in through the textured window which obscured all things on the opposite side. I stood in a threatening stance, my weapon of choice, an elegantly carved wooden swan, clutched tightly in my right hand. I was the predator and my eyes were set on my victim, the opportune moment had come. Everything was in the perfect place for me to kill my greatest enemy and the true bane of my existence, other than Jimin. I positioned my deadly swan to a better position in order to perform the kill more effectively but it was at that moment that my enemy decided that it's life was truly in danger and that it had to move. It hurried to the left, it's disgustingly long legs working too fast for me to discern any separate movement. To me it simply appeared as one smooth, singular and horrifyingly fast move. I screeched and recoiled from my place, backing up against the wall. The creature of nightmares seemed to turn toward me. The tables had turned. The predator who had been ready to end the life of it's prey had turned into the victim.

"If you lay a single one of those fat, long legs of yours on me, I swear I will kill you where you stand," I whimpered weakly. I fixed my eyes on it and held my decorative swan out protectively in front of me. I needed help. That had become clear to me now. I could have killed the beast ages ago but every time I sat there prepared to strike down this monster a wave of anxiety would overcome me and would freeze me to the spot. What if I missed? What if it was too fast and I would have to try again? And the worst of them all; what if it jumped on me in order to escape? I would just die if that happened. I was pathetic. Needing help to kill a simple garden spider, but in all fairness it wasn't exactly small. So I needed help, that was obvious but who would come to my rescue if I screamed? I shuddered at the thought of Jimin
coming to see me trembling in the bathroom, unable to relieve the pressure on my bladder due to a spider.  He would laugh himself silly. At this point I was unsure of who I'd rather face, Jimin or Spider? Jimin or Spider? Jimin or...

Another thought popped into my head. What if Cheol was the one to come to my rescue? Would it be a glorious moment of affection as he saved me from the beast or would it be absolutely humiliating as he found me being held captive by a spider that really wasn't paying me much attention until I started plotting it's downfall? Cheol knew I was afraid of spiders so hopefully it would not be the latter. The most likely person to become my saviour was not one of the boys though. They were only two out of six candidates for the position although I could safely eliminate the twins and Auntie Iseul from the list as they were also scared of spiders. I darted for the door, unlocked it and shoved it open.

"Help! Spider!" I called loudly throughout the house. It took only a couple seconds for Cheol to come walking from the kitchen.

"Where is it?" He asked calmly but a moment later Jimin came crashing down from upstairs with a wild look on his face.

"WHERE?!" He screeched, wielding a fly swat as if it were a sword. Hopping up and down I pointed to the spot where the spider was and the two boys rush forward. There was a sound of plastic against wood as the fly swat put an end to the spider's most likely short life, I almost pitied it then. Cheol turned to me a moment later and gave my head a couple soothing pats, ruffling my hair.