Sprinklers

Two hours later, the two girls were still talking in the same spot, under that same tree. Not once did both realize that time had passed so quickly until they began to see the sunset, But for some reason, both still didn't feel like leaving each other just yet.

"I'm really sorry to hear what happened to your brother," Nat said to the brown-haired girl who was looking down and fiddling with some blades of grass next to her.

"I-uh I miss him, like a lot. Sometimes I have the feeling that he is still there, that he is going to rush into my room to ask if I have stolen one of his sweaters again" Wanda spoke with a faint laugh, trying to hide her voice full of grief. "But, then I have to realize that he's gone. Just because he got the grand idea to defend this shitty country." pulling out the blade of grass she continued. Nat turned her head slowly towards her, seeing how anger and sadness combined had been projected on Wanda's face. She didn't know this had happened to Pietro, she didn't think anyone from school knew. Everyone thought he just went to college like the rest of the year he was in. As she heard what happened to him, she could not help feeling some sadness herself, Pietro was always friendly to her, to everyone.

"So yeah, it doesn't really help to see that my mom and dad wanted it to be me instead of Pietro, they haven't said it, but I can see it in their faces. Every time we talk about him, I see it. " A single tear rolled from Wanda's face.

"Hey come on, don't think like that. Your parents miss their son, but they should be glad they still have their daughter. Who, if I may say, is a really pleasant person to be with once you get to know her, and who might be a little bit smarter than me, a little! " Nat replied, giving Wanda a comforting hand on her shoulder. To her surprise, the grieving girl took her hand, Making Nat feel some type of warmth rush through her body.

"Thanks, i-uh I think I really needed to hear that, and not just the stuff about me being smarter than you" Wanda chuckled after a while, still holding on to the hand on her shoulder.

the two sat in that for a little while longer, watching the sun disappear completely behind the trees of the park.

"Do you think you've been gone long enough now?" Wanda asked Nat, who looked ahead at the park that was now lit by the outdoor lights that came on instantly when the sunlight disappeared.

"Yeah, maybe it's time for me to go home" The blonde chuckled before she got up from the ground and stretched her arms in the air. "Why don't you show other people this side of you? Your friendly side" Nat asked, grinning as she reached out to Wanda to pull her off the ground.

"What? And then be asked to join Pepper's cookie sale? No thanks." She replied, taking Nat's hand getting her pulled from the ground.

"Her cookies are actually really good" Nat chuckled as she grabbed her backpack and threw it over her shoulder. "But, what makes me the exception?" She asked as she walked over the grass with Wanda next to her.

"Let's just say I hate you the least" Wanda replied with a smirk.

"wow, thank you" Nat laughed in response walking backward so she talked to Wanda face to face.

"I'm kidding, I just don't feel like being 'rude' towards you, don't ask me why because I don't know." The girl answered, running one hand through her hair. Nat looked at her with a smile forming on her face...before tripping over something. Wanda quickly grabbed a hold of her, trying not to stop her from falling, but instead, she got pulled with her and fell into the grass with Nat. Groaning and Laughing at their stupidity, the two lay side by side.

"Help me to remind me not to step backwards while talking," Nat said, laughing, with her face turned to Wanda.

"I will. Help to remind me, not to try to help you if you're falling, because you will just pull me down with you" She answered laughing before turning her face in Nat's direction, so the two made eye contact with each other. Their laughter gradually decreased and turned into an ordinary smile.

They lay there like that for a moment, just looking at each other. All Nat could think about right now was how her lips would feel on hers. As if Wanda was reading her mind, her face came closer towards that from her. Looking from her eyes to her lips, Nat waited for Wanda to kiss her, but just before their lips could touch, Nat suddenly felt heavy rain falling on her...No, not rain. The sprinklers. The two jumped up immediately. Soaking wet they ran across the grass to the still dry part of the park. When they finally got there they both laughed at each other.

"So that's just what happened" Wanda laughed as she rubbed the back of her neck and looked at the park.

Nat said nothing in response and instead came closer to Wanda, grabbing the girl's face gently with her two hands, making them make eye contact with each other. She brought her face closer to Wanda's and placed her lips on top of hers, kissing her softly.

-

"Sorry, i-uh I just wanted to do this for a while" Nat spoke quietly, as she pulled herself back from the kiss. She looked at Wanda, who was staring at her with wide eyes and an open mouth. Nat felt she had made a mistake kissing her and took a step back. "Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, I should have asked you before I-" She started to apologize before being interrupted by Wanda who suddenly got closer and kissed her again. This time more passionate. just at that moment, the sprinklers on their side came on too. The two girls laughed in between the kiss but didn't stop just yet.

"I really REALLY don't want to stop kissing you, but I'm pretty sure if we keep standing here for a long time, we'll get sick." Nat interrupted the kiss and looked at Wanda as she bit her lip. The girl laughed as she nodded in agreement.

Both girls ran through the sprinklers, hand in hand, towards the parking lot of the park where Nat's car was at. When Nat noticed her car was the only one left, she looked at Wanda who apparently had to walk home.

"Come on, I'll give you a ride"