R E E D

After packing up my things I'm so distracted by the thought of Farris being in my next class, the one math class that Alexander isn't there to act as a buffer in, that  I don't see the person in front of me when I turn around to leave.

Bouncing off of someone's chest, I reach out to hold on to something when they seem to do the same. With my arms being gripped by someone's strong hands, I look up to see a familiar face, though I can't put a name to it.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there." I rush the words out, smiling embarrassedly up at him.

"No, that's my bad. I shouldn't have waited so close." He says, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand once he lets go of my arms. My eyebrows furrow at his words, and I look around to see that most people must have left before our collision.

"Waited?" I ask, completely distracted by his sudden appearance and timing.

"Reed, right?" He asks. "I'm Lauchlan." He introduces himself and I wait as it seems like he has more to say. "I was wondering if you wanted to go grab lunch if you were free."

Surprised, my lips part and I blink twice. "Do you want my notes?" I ask, like an idiot. But then he laughs, showing off his perfect white teeth and my eyes widen.

"No, I don't want your notes." His eyes turn just the slightest bit mischievous and it makes me less nervous than before.

"Okay. Wow. Um, so I actually have another class right now, and I'd never ask you to wait—"

"Why don't you let me walk you to it then?" Lauchlan cuts me off and I smile at the ground as I grab my bag that fell to the ground when we collided, my cheeks heating. Looking back up at him, I nod.

The two of us leave together and he walks with a little bit of distance between us, making me feel more comfortable than I ever expected with a stranger. "So which class are we headed to?" He breaks the short-lived silence.

"Math. I'm awful at it and always need to watch the recording again just to grasp it."

"Oh well, I'm not too bad at math if you ever need a study buddy." He offers, making me draw parallels with Farris for a second, but he veers my attention back to him almost immediately and I almost want to thank him for his allure. "You know I've actually been working up the nerve to talk to you for a while now." He admits and laughs, avoiding direct eye contact.

Almost pausing, I focus on walking to the correct building rather than his words and how they make me feel giddy yet nervous as well. "You don't seem like the type to hesitate," I say but it comes out sounding like a question.

"Usually, you'd be right. I almost managed once..." He trails off and I look back up to see him already looking at me.

"Why didn't you?"

"Your boyfriend. Not that I was surprised that you had one, but mostly just really disappointed." He says and I pout.

"We're not dating," I say and realize my error the moment he opens his mouth.

"But you know who I meant." He states the obvious, his voice even. Looking up sheepishly, a tuck a stray strand of hair that escaped from my ponytail and make eye contact.

"Yes, because we get it a lot. Red hair, big guy?" I ask him and he nods. "He's my best...friend." I pause, unsure if he really is my best friend anymore. Unsure of his place in my life now that I've slipped out of his hold on me.

"Well, he has quite a glare," Lauchlan says, humor in his voice.

"What? Did he...?" I trail off when I realize that Lauchlan isn't referring to a past event, but the present. Farris is waiting outside the classroom when we approach, and the look he's giving Lauchlan is anything but welcoming.

Lauchlan stops me. "I was going to sit in class with you so we could go to lunch afterward, but..." He nods his head back to gesture to Farris.

"That's actually really sweet. That you'd sit through an hour of math to eat with me." Looking up, I see patience written all over Lauchlan's expression and make my decision.

"I wouldn't do the same for anyone else because I don't like to be a burden," I laugh. "But I'm gonna take you up on your offer. Lunch is on me." I smile brightly up at him, my heart beating too fast in my chest to feel comfortable. I don't know if I'm more uneasy at the thought that these two guys are going to be within a few feet of each other in a minute, or because there's an agenda to my decision.

Wondering what Farris sees when he looks at Lauchlan, I turn to look over him again, absentmindedly comparing the two who sit on either side of me. Other than his white teeth and bright personality, everything about Lauchlan is dark. He's got thick black hair and dark features that complement his warm, unblemished brown skin, his white v-neck shirt serving as contrast, but it fits quite loosely as his body type is lean. He's very handsome.

Glancing at Farris this time despite knowing what he looks like enough to paint a picture from memory, I can only find differences between them. Farris has fair skin and freckles, but his hulking figure and cold yet mischievous demeanor make him intimidating as hell. His black t-shirt looks like it might burst at the seams, straining against his hard-earned muscle and I don't need to look at his shorts to know they look the same.

Snapping my gaze away from Farris and towards the front, I move my crossed legs so that they're closer to Lauchlan's side. No gawking at muscles if they belong to the guy who considers himself to be my babysitter.

"Can I come over to meet the dog after class?" I feel warm breath on my neck, causing the skin to erupt in goosebumps from Farris's proximity.

"Her name is Moony." I snap though my volume is at a whisper.

"Is that a yes?"

"You can do whatever you want, I'm busy after class," I tell him, feeling way too much satisfaction from my peripheral view of his expression than I probably should. Pretending to take notes, I write down every word that I hear the professor say, though I'm almost positive she's explaining to someone how to access the website where we have been submitting our homework for the semester.

It takes Farris a while to say anything, and I almost believe that he won't ask, but he does and I can't say that I'm surprised. "Busy doing what?"

"Lunch." I inwardly wince at my own curt tone.

"Well, we could—"

"With not you." This time, I do cringe.

"—meet at the dorm when you're done." He finishes, nodding. "But that might be too much of a hassle for you. Didn't realize space actually meant sever." He doesn't allow me to say a word because he stands up and leaves, looking as casual as ever despite taking a piece of me with him. But fuck if I didn't deserve it.

The professor dismisses us just after, and I smile weakly when Lauchlan offers to carry my bag for me, walking with me out of the classroom as I follow in a daze that his bright smiles can't seem to stir this time around.