M A D D I S O N

"Can you get the fuck out of my way? Thanks." I bite sarcastically at a girl who thinks it's a good idea to stand in the middle of the hallway while she chats up a guy. So fucking predictable.

I finally make it to the kitchen of Alpha what-the-fuck-ever house, and pour myself a sip of the good stuff, putting it into a proper glass because nobody will say shit about it if I do. I taste the whiskey and feel it burn as it slides smoothly down my throat, coating it. Swiveling around, I lean against the sticky countertop, watching all the drunk kids make fools out of themselves as they dance with strangers and drink while underage. Not that I can say anything about that last part, I'm only nineteen.

Some frat guy walks up to me and opens his mouth but I stop him by putting my hand on his face and pushing him away forcefully. He looks at me like I'm crazy and I show him my precious middle finger without even making eye contact as he walks away, cradling his pride.

"That's one way to get a guy to stop talking to you, I'll have to try that," I hear a familiar voice sound from behind me, and turn slowly to see the captain of my soccer team slowly filling a glass with water from the tap. I'd recognize that annoying British accent anywhere.

"A guy would have to be interested in you in order for that to happen," I roll my eyes, turning back around and facing the party, tipping back the rest of my drink so that I can handle Charlotte without punching her in her pretty face.

"Oh Maddison, I didn't know you were blind on top of being—"

"Charlie," Reed sighs, just now entering the kitchen and cutting off what was sure to be one of Charlotte's condescending retorts. I give Reed a small smile and have the decency to act slightly apologetic. Reed knows that I started it, I always do.

Charlotte sighs and gives me the look that says "truce?", lifting up her eyebrows with a blank look on her face. The same look we always share when caught fighting by our mutual friend. We may both be bitches, but neither of us is willing to drag Reed into our petty arguments, so this is how they always end.

I give a small nod but my face stays blank. Charlotte directs a fake smile towards me that immediately turns into a genuine one when she looks at Reed. That seems to be Charlotte's only redeeming quality so far, and the only thing we can agree on. Keep Reed out of it. Reed is much too good of a person to be friends with either of us, but I sure as hell won't question her on her choices because she's the only person who can handle being friends with someone like me. Reed is too accepting of my flaws and I adore her for it.

"So today was fun..." Reed says, trying to rope both of us into conversation. She's still holding out hope that the two of us will become best friends.

"You did really well today," Charlotte says to her softly, nudging her arm, and Reed blushes.

"She always does well," I say without my usual defensiveness, and Charlotte nods.

"Alright alright, I'm amazing. We know this." Reed jokes and her eyes drift over to the front door, lighting up. She hardly hesitates to leave the two of us alone before rushing off to whoever just arrived in the house.

"The bad boy who's only good for her?" Charlotte asks and I lean over to see, nodding when I spot Farris's curly red hair, face tilted down to look at Reed. I purse my lips and glance at her. I'm about to open my mouth but Charlotte cuts me off with an almost unnoticeable shake of her head. "It's not our place." She says softly and I grit my teeth, nodding.

"You do your part, and I'll do mine." I step away, walking in the direction of the front door where my friend is standing with Farris and Xander. The only one of the three who even looks like they want to be here is Farris.