F A R R I S

"Let's go Ree-eed, let's go." Xander chants, clapping three times after. He's the only one yelling out and I can practically feel the warmth emanating from Reed's cheeks from here as she glances up at him with wide eyes.

"Xan, this is a practice. Quit embarrassing the girl." I laugh, lounging back with my elbows up on the bleacher behind me and my legs propped on the one below.

"I'm just a better friend than you are, get over it. Besides, she does the same when she comes to mine." He does another verse, cupping his hands around his mouth.

"She's literally just stretching."

"Is wittle Faiwy embawassed?" He pouts, giving me big brown puppy dog eyes. Shoving him away from me, I laugh and continue watching Reed.

"I don't mind the attention," I say, glancing around at the turned heads of the girl's soccer team taking the two of us in. Most of the girls have stripped off their shirts because of the heat, showing off toned and tan stomachs, but no matter how hot it gets, Reed never does the same. "I'm gonna go bring her water. She looks red." I murmur, standing up from my spot and pulling out the water bottle with ice that I've been keeping under the shaded bleacher. I use the railing to propel me over, landing gracefully on my feet and walk towards Reed.

I'm not at all supposed to be on the field, but Charlie's in charge and I'm helpful. To Reed. "What's up, Buttercup?"

"You know what's up Fare, get outta here." She waves me off, her smile threatening to break free from her pink lips as I hand her the bottle, dripping with cold condensation.

"You looked hot," I say, taking in her flushed cheeks and damp jersey. Her black gloves are probably uncomfortable.

"It's ninety degrees outside, you're damn right I am." She teases and I smirk, leaning against the post.

"How's the ass?" She bites her lip to hold back the smile threatening to grow, throwing the bottle towards the post and looking straight ahead as she finishes up her solitary stretches.

"Been thinking about it a lot lately, have you?" She touches her toes with her legs spread wide, inching them further and further as I watch, gaze zeroing in on the stretch of her red shorts.

"Looks good to me. Don't forget those squats." I wink, taking the water bottle with me just so she...

"Hey, don't you dare! Drop it." I hear from behind me and I do as she says, listening to her footsteps get closer as she comes to retrieve it. "Thank you." She says softly and I turn around. "Mine got warm about an hour ago." She scrunches her nose up.

"Text me where you end up tonight and I'll come keep you company. Xan's going to be studying." I say because it's been a couple of nights and Charlie's going to be itching to get out of the dorm.

"You don't need to babysit me, Fare. I can handle one night without a bodyguard."

"I prefer to think of myself as asshole repellent."

"Like two magnets with the same poles." She sticks her tongue in her cheek and I raise my eyebrow.

"Did you just call me—"

"Hey, Reed! Starting goalie. Remember me? Your captain?" Charlie calls out to her, an amused smile on her face. I raise my hands in surrender as I back away, shaking my head at Reed.

I turn back around and climb the steps to return to my seat, ignoring the curious look coming from Xander. "Don't say a word, it just puts thoughts into my head that shouldn't be there," I remind him, rolling my eyes at his amused expression. Xander seems to believe that Reed and I can't simply be friends and nothing more, so he's constantly pestering me about any moment spent alone with her.

"I was only going to comment on how great she looks out there," He says with his hands held up in surrender. I purse my lips and nod, facing towards the field again, in agreement. Reed is in her element right now, with the wild look now directed towards the ball flying towards her, landing directly in her grip.

Turning back towards Xander, I narrow my eyes. "Are you into her?" I question, noticing his eyes that have been glued to the field this entire time.

"I'm not going to waste my time answering that." He says without even glancing at me.

"Pretty sure that sentence took longer to say than a simple no." I huff.

"Don't get sassy with me just because you haven't seen your girlfriend—"

"I'm going to punch you."

"Uh-huh."

"Go read a book."

"Good one." The corner of his mouth tips up in a small smile.

"So if you're not staring at Reed..." I glance around the field, my eyes catching on the long, beautifully braided blonde hair of the team's captain as she approaches Reed in her net. "Ohhh..."

"No. Not ohhh. I'm watching our friends play soccer." He says, pulling a book out of his bag and pressing his glasses up his nose. I wait until his eyes glance up to exactly where Charlie stands and dart back down.

I chuckle under my breath, leaving him alone for now. He put Charlie into a box when we first met her, and refuses to remove her from it despite her more than obvious advances. The girl lights up every time he's around and he still tries his best to ignore her.

"I'm not going to say anything other than, I promise I won't get involved if you wanted to tell me..."

"Nothing to tell."

"Uh-huh." I mock him and the expression on his face tells me that he doesn't appreciate it in the slightest.

" I mock him and the expression on his face tells me that he doesn't appreciate it in the slightest