A A R O N

She's been visiting me daily since my surgery and today, I'm going to surprise her. With a boot on my foot and crutches under my arms, I'm mobile and I have the ability to surprise Maddie. I'm hesitant about not warning her in advance, thanks to the unresolved tension between us but I'm hopeful that she'll be happy to see me rather than feeling put out about my unplanned visit.

Inhaling the fresh air outside her apartment building, I feel like I haven't been outside in weeks rather than days. My finger hovers over the buzzer but I hesitate to press it. Leaning against the side of the building, I take deep breaths to calm my heart racing at the thought of seeing her, of her seeing me outside the hospital for the first time in too long.

My train of halt comes to a screeching halt at the sight of her, not coming out of her apartment, but walking toward the entrance from the road that leads to her gym. She doesn't see me at first, giving me the chance to take her in without caution.

She's got on a pair of black boxing shorts that barely flare out around her toned thighs, showing off the legs she's worked hard for. Her top is nothing but a tight black sports bra and her hair is back in a plait. The closer she gets, the more I can see the sheen of sweat on her tan skin, highlighted by the sun so she looks golden.

Her eyes are up, but unfocused, and it isn't until she's climbing the steps that she sees me, pausing one step below me with wide eyes. She takes me in the way I did her, but her eyes are filled with surprise at either the sight of me or the boot she lingers on.

"Looks like it's my lucky day," She says casually, joining me on the top step and reaching behind me. I tense at the feeling of her hand brushing my arm but she pulls it back gracefully and only when I hear the click of the door do I notice that she has a key fob in her hand. She opens the door and holds it for me, walking past me and to the lift once we get inside.

I don't know why I'm surprised at how easy this is, but we don't try to fill the silence with small talk, simply glancing over at each other and smiling as the lift climbs floors. "I just need a quick shower," She tells me when the doors open to her apartment.

I nod. "Take your time." Her couch is comfortable and I allow myself to relax slightly, inhaling the faint scent of whatever it is that makes Maddie smell the way she does, lounging with my foot up on the ottoman while I wait. If she misses the struggle it takes for me to sit down and get my leg up, all the better.

I hear the door open behind me and a glance over my shoulder reveals bare shoulders and legs disappearing behind her bedroom door without a backward glance from Maddie. I can feel my face heating up as a blush rises, starting at my chest and climbing to my neck and cheeks. My hand goes to the back of my neck and I close my eyes, doing nothing but waiting for Maddie to join me. When she does, she's dressed in a different pair of shorts, looser sweatshorts that peek out from underneath an oversized t-shirt.

"So what brings you here? Other than me," She smiles and I can't help but do the same as I watch her face as it nears me. She takes a seat on the section of the couch that partially faces me and her eyes don't stray from mine, not hesitant or shy about eye contact the way that I am.

"Just wanted to show off my boot. And I wasn't doing anything so—"

"Want to order food and watch something? I was going to do that anyway so you can join me."

"Oh, that's alright. I wasn't going to linger—"

She cuts me off again. "Why not? I like the company."

Not I'd like the company. I like the company. The distinction makes my heart pound. I nod. "Yeah, okay. You pick though," I insist.

Maddie rolls her beautiful silver eyes. "Sure." She brushes her wet hair behind her ear, and I watch it curl up at the ends as it dries. She has the television controller and scrolls through endless movies and shows, looking over to gauge my reactions every so often, but never voicing any opinions aloud.