R E E D

I felt it from the moment that I walked through the doors and couldn't help but think "so this must be how Charlotte feels." I'm not entirely oblivious, I know that a few guys have been interested in me before, I've caught people checking me out, but not like this.

Seeing myself in the mirror earlier, I figured the form-fitting costume could end up being a problem, but so far not one person has stepped out of line, only looking with their eyes and keeping their mouths shut despite the words I can practically read on their faces.

The Dark Phoenix costume shows only the skin from my neck up, and yet it feels like the most revealing thing I've ever worn, somehow accentuating my curves more than a bikini. If I'm being honest, especially with the makeup that Charlie did on me, I look sexy.

Farris not being able to tear his eyes off of me is also the biggest ego boost I have ever received, so thank you, Farris. Now as we stand, facing each other on the makeshift dance floor but not dancing, I feel a rush of confidence wash over me and take a step toward him.

My arms raise up slowly, but not hesitantly, and I loop them around his neck, not quite pressing myself up against him, but my large chest doesn't allow any room between his and mine. I can't see the color of Farris' eyes in the dark room, but I swear his pupils have dilated to two times the size they were earlier.

"This was your idea." I remind him and he seemingly snaps out of whatever was holding him back mentally. His huge hands slide around my waist and we just sway along to the music, practically slow dancing to an upbeat song that I imagine would be played in a club.

My hips roll side to side and his hands tighten, never taking his eyes off of me. "We're good right?" I have to yell a bit, even when I pull myself closer to reach his ear. He nods, his face rubbing against mine and I pull back, eyes widening at the lack of space between not only our bodies but our faces as well.

I gulp, hoping that Farris can't see my nerves at our proximity. Even if he knows and doesn't reciprocate my feelings for him, I trust him to never make a fool out of me or say something hurtful because of them.

"Reed." He says and my eyes dart down to his lips. "Let's go somewhere quieter." He says, and the tiny bit of alcohol still in my system from earlier is what I blame for my thoughts going straight to the gutter, rather than perhaps...the kitchen that he leads me to.

Bypassing the kitchen, Farris steers me towards the hallway leading off somewhere else in the house and stops, leaning against one wall, arms crossed, looking at me. I lean against the opposite wall, crossing my arms because I don't know what to do with my hands.

He shakes his head as he looks me over, and my heart breaks a little bit, but I cut him off. "I think we should forget what I said. Go back to how it was before. I'm fine with that." He jerks back as if I've hit him.

"No."

"Fare, we've gone back in every way that counts. I can tell you haven't wanted to talk about it—"

"Past-tense." He says.

"What?"

"I want to talk about it now."

"I don't want you to feel like I'm forci—"

"You're not forcing me to do anything. Now shut up and listen." He commands so seriously that I do what he says. "I. Don't. Want. To go. Back."

"I don't get it. You're not saying anything."

"Let me spell it out clearly for you then. You didn't look at me like that," his head nods in the direction of where we came from when dancing, "when we were just friends."

"I've always looked at you like that," I admit softly and the tension in his shoulders dissipates visibly as they slump.

"Not when I was looking, and I'm sure as hell looking now." I inhale a breath quickly through my nose. Farris doesn't move though, so I do. I take two steps to cross the distance between us and I do nothing but stand in his space, looking up at him.

"You're...sure?" I ask, my voice small. I don't believe he would ever joke about something as serious as this, as my heart, but I have to know that he's in.

"C'mere, Buttercup," He says softly, pulling me in for a hug and I squeeze him, nuzzling my head into his neck and standing tall on my toes. My lips brush his skin and I don't try to stop myself before placing a single open-mouthed kiss on the sensitive spot under his ear.

"Shit." He grabs my biceps and pushes me back only a bit, looking me up and down. "Not tonight. We're going to sleep on it, get together tomorrow, and go from there. I'm taking this slow with you so none of that."

"Why? You worried?" I ask cheekily and his serious face doesn't change in the slightest at my teasing tone as he answers:

"Yes."

After a minute of staring, Farris and I agree to leave, not feeling the need to stay any longer. After finding Charlie and letting her and Xan know, I wave goodbye to Lucy and let Farris take my hand to lead me outside, not being able to help myself as I let go of it and immediately slide my hand up his arm and through the space between it and his body, hugging it to me instead.

"Jesus, Reed that costume..." Farris trails off, looking down at me when we get into the open and much quieter air outside the house. I blush, thankful for the darkness to hide in, looking down and away from the streetlight.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to you saying things like that," I admit, looking up at him bashfully. He shakes his head, opening his mouth when someone else speaks up.

"He's not someone you have to worry about. We're just friends." The mocking voice haunts my past and now present, and I can feel Farris tense as we turn around to face my ex-boyfriend.

"Don't start," Farris warns.

"Lover boy to the rescue." Garrett coos mockingly and his eyes turn to mine, his glazed over and visible even with only the dull street light. "You still desperate for this guy?"

"Don't say another fucking word to her," Farris says, shielding me with his body.

"Or what?"

"Let's go," Farris says to me softly, ignoring the drama and my eyes widen as Garrett approaches much too quickly. Farris notices and pushes me back as gently and quickly as he can, avoiding a sloppy punch thrown by Garrett and landing one into his stomach. Farris keeps a hand on top of Garrett's back as he's hunched over, and leans down towards his ear.

"Come near her again and you'll wish that I had never been born. You'll never get to her without me in your way. Remember that." He pushes Garrett off of where he'd been holding him up with his fist, and walks towards me, not stopping for a second before leading me back in the direction of the dorms.

"You okay to walk?" He asks me and I nod, unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry about all of that."

"Oh my god, don't be, that was the hottest thing I've ever seen." I gush and his head snaps to look at me, his eyes crinkling at the corners and he starts laughing. Deep, belly laughs that are pure joy and I bite my lips together in embarrassment for admitting that out loud.

"Good to know." Is all he says and it makes me feel warm from the inside out. The two of us walk side by side, hands brushing occasionally and I bite my lip nervously before reaching out and grabbing his. He easily links our fingers together and before I know it, my hand is being lifted up to his lips so that he can press a kiss on the back of it.

My eyes are so wide that it makes him chuckle as they meet his, and he returns our hands to our sides. "Get used to it, Buttercup."

I really really want to get used to it.