M A D D I S O N

I haven't said a word about our almost kiss. But then again, neither has Aaron. We went from hot and heavy, to cold, and now to...heating up again? One can only hope.

I know I'm not the only one feeling this way because since Aaron and I made our movie nights an every-other-day occurrence, I've noticed his awkwardness show up in the form of unsure glances and stumbling words. I have to hide my smiles every time I'm forced to ask him to speak up when I can't hear him or when his green eyes widen as I casually shuffle closer to him on the couch.

The most physical contact we've made is when our hands brush each other's as we reach into the popcorn bowl at the same time, but I hold the door open and something about him is different. His back is straighter, he's not avoiding my eyes, and he walks in like he owns the place, even if he is on crutches. My head is tilted to the side as my eyes take him all in.

I wouldn't trade the usual Aaron for anything, but I'm curious to see what's got him changing his tune. "Welcome back."

"Thanks. How was your day?" He asks.

"Hmm. Boring. But I'm much more curious about yours." He takes a seat on the back of the couch, facing me and I move to stand in front of him, a few feet away so as to not startle him out of whatever is going on. I'm letting him make the next move and he has yet to figure it out.

"The usual. Notice anything different?" He asks and I narrow my eyes.

"Give me a hint."

"No," He smiles. I look him over again, from his feet all the way to his ears but I don't notice anything new until I scan back over his lower half. My eyes widen and I can't help but move closer simply to be in his space.

"You got your boot off!"

"Normal cast now. Much smaller and much easier to get around, though I won't be able to wear jeans until it's off."

"That's great. How does it feel?"

"Surprisingly well. The doctor said it's healing nicely."

"That's great."

"You said that already," He quirks an eyebrow up and I purse my lips.

"You eat yet?" I ask as I turn my back on him, moving to walk back to the kitchen but a hand on my wrist has me spinning back around, stumbling closer to Aaron than I was before, standing almost between his legs.

"Not hungry. I was thinking maybe we go out to eat instead of having you cook."

"I don't mind cooking—"

"I'm asking you out, Maddie."

"Well, you're not doing a very good job of it if I don't know," I grumble and he smiles, reaching for my other hand and sliding his grip down on the one he already had in his so that he's just barely holding on. Green eyes meet mine and I hide my smile.

"Let's go out to eat and call it a date. We can do anything else you want too," He offers, his wide, hopeful eyes trained on mine. His naivety gives him confidence. His heart hasn't ever been broken and he's willingly giving it to me.

"I'm no good at this..." I warn.

"You've never done this with me, how could you possibly know?" He asks and I nod. My hands drop his and I slide my arms around his neck loosely, pulling myself into his neck and placing my lips by his ear.

"Do I get all the benefits?"

He inhales sharply, "With time," he says, holding his ground as I pull back and let my lips move so close to his without quite touching.