11. Girl on the Run

||There is a reason why we met. We don't meet anyone by chance - Avijeet Das||

 We don't meet anyone by chance - Avijeet Das||

November 11th, 2005
New York

"Dad is going to kill us if he catches us" Ben commented as he trailed behind his brother down the streets of New York.

"Do you think I care what that bastard thinks?" a 16 year old Klaus replied as he clutched his black umbrella in his trembling hands.

Klaus knew that if Reginald did catch him, he would he in a lot of trouble. But his need for some sort of substance was too strong at that moment, he couldn't think of the consequences of getting caught. All he could think of was getting his high.

The Academy kids weren't allowed to leave the grounds unless they had permission from their father (although they did use Allison's powers a few times to get themselves out) and it was tough being inside all the time.

The snow fell around the two brothers as they walked down the busy street. Klaus acted as if he knew where he was going, but he really had no idea. The duo had never been alone in the city before, almost always having either Allison or Diego as a guide.

"You might not care what he thinks, but I do. He already hates me as it is" Ben whined.

"Let's go down this alleyway" Klaus suggested as he turned the corner into the dark area, not even waiting for his brother's response.

•••

A 16 year old Willow appeared with a blue light and a zap in a New York alleyway clutching a briefcase in her shaky hands.

"Unfortunately, this is where I have to leave you" Herb said with a frown as he turned to face the girl.

"I know. Thank you for helping me" Willow told him and he shrugged.

"It was no bother at all, I'm always happy to help you" Herb replied with his usual genuine smile.

Herb had worked at the Commission for many years, which resulted in him basically watching Willow grow up. He spent a lot of time looking after her when her mother couldn't be bothered to.

"I better get back before someone realizes that I'm gone" Herb told her and she nodded.

"Yeah of course. Goodbye Herbie" Willow said as she gave the small man a quick embrace before she watched him disappear along with his briefcase.

Neither Herb or Willow properly knew how to work the briefcases, so instead of landing in 1947 like they intended to, they somehow landed in 2005.

Willow was almost unrecognizable in New York. Herb and Dot had helped her dye her platinum blonde hair to a chestnut brown color to help her hide until she made it to 1947. Once in 1947, she would find her grandmother and then destroy the briefcase, making her impossible to track from the Commission.

"Let's go down this alleyway" she heard a voice say from the entrance of the alleyway, she quickly ducked behind a dumpster, trying to make herself unseen.

"What was that?" Ben asked as he followed his brother.

"I don't know. Probably a rat or something" Klaus replied with a shrug.

"No I'm pretty sure I heard voices down here. We should leave, it might be dangerous" Ben said, a nervous expression overcoming his usual happy face.

"Ben, I told you there's no one-" Klaus started but stopped when he noticed Willow.

"Oh, hello" He greeted as he looked down at her.

"Who is that?" Ben asked as he stood next to his brother.

"I don't know" Klaus replied before offering her his hand, which she took to help her stand up.

"Are you okay?" Klaus asked, taking note of the upset state the girl was clearly in.

"Not really, but I'm still alive so that's something" She replied with a shrug as she stood up

"What were you doing behind there?" Klaus asked, looking behind the dumpster.

"Hiding" Willow replied as she brushed the dirt off of herself.

"Hiding from who?" Klaus asked suspiciously.

"My mother" Willow told him simply.

"Why?" Klaus questioned and she rolled her eyes in response.

"Has anyone ever told you that you are extremely nosy?" Willow asked rhetorically, taking notice of the uniforms that the brothers wore, recognizing it immediately.

"Sorry" Klaus mumbled in response, leaning forward so he could cover her from the snow with his umbrella.

"Do you need help?" Klaus asked seriously. 16 year old Klaus may have been a narcissist drug addict, but he was still constantly concerned for the well being of others.

"Yes. But I don't think there's much that you can do to help me" Willow replied.

"Surely there's something I can do to help" the Séance said desperately, he wouldn't be able to leave without knowing that he did something to help her.

"As much as I appreciate your offers, there's nothing that you can do" Willow told him, silently hoping that he would give in and leave so she could time travel back to the 1940s.

"Do you want my umbrella?" Ben offered shyly as the snow continued pouring around them. Klaus gave him a look before focusing back on her.

"No, I couldn't because then you would be cold" Willow replied and Ben shook his head.

"No, I insist. I can share with my brother" Ben told her, handing her the umbrella.

"Thanks" Willow replied as she held it over herself, making Klaus take a step back as he no longer needed to cover her with his umbrella.

"I hate to be rude or anything because you two seem extremely nice, but could you please leave? I don't want to draw attention to myself" Willow told them and Ben nodded.

"Of course" Ben replied and Klaus sighed.

"I'll feel bad if we just leave you here" Klaus said to her.

"I'll be fine, I have somewhere I need to go" She told him and he nodded in defeat.

"Alright. Stay safe, okay?" Klaus asked and she nodded as she watched the brothers exit the alleyway and walk down the street.

"I wanted to give her my umbrella" Number Four hissed to his brother when they were out of earshot.

"Well, I got there first" Number Six said proudly as the duo walked back home, Klaus forgetting about his lack of drugs and alcohol.

Willow stood in the alleyway until she knew that the two brothers were gone. When she was sure of it, she rested the briefcase against the dumpster, flicking the date to February 11th 1947.

And just like that, she was gone again.

A/N: so... they knew each other before