➥ His Undoing

Word Count: ~ 1,420
Warnings: Cursing, smoking, kissing, pining, all around vagueness
SUMMARY: She's all he can think about... and she's the reason his reason is fucked beyond belief.

It wasn't a strange thing for Tommy to be sitting out in the backyard just smoking a fag and thinking. His life required him to take time to just think... to think about the shitshow he managed to end up in... the woman he managed to stupidly fall for.

Tommy Shelby wasn't known for being soft or warm. He was known for being harsh and cold, cutting through the smog of Birmingham with one purpose; to be more. To be more than the poor Brummie boy without a mum or dad, more than the broken man from France who didn't come back the same... more than the G*psy that people saw him as.

He wanted to smear the canvas of his life and start anew, but he let himself slip.... Tommy allowed himself to give into his need to feel. To put it simply, Thomas Shelby OBE managed to fuck everything up as soon as he set his eyes on that bloody woman. The one with mischievous Y/E/C colored eyes and a sinful smile that seemed to haunt the back of his eyelids.

⎯⎯

Y/N Y/L/N wasn't a simple woman, anyone within a five mile (8 km) radius of her was made well aware of that just by being around her. The aura of power and passion that drowned those who dared to get close enough to see her was thick and heavy. A weight that never once affected her, only the foolish men who practically frothed at the mouth upon seeing her.

She wasn't blind to the attention, in fact, she thrived on it. Seeing married men eye her as if their wives couldn't see made Y/N feel a sick sense of power just rush through her entire body.

So when she saw the man, the myth, the Thomas Shelby OBE in person for the first time... Y/N knew. She knew that she just had to get her claws in him. The thought of watching him squirm as she held him in the palm of her hand made her heart race unbelievably fast. And so she did just that, it was simple really.

Y/N did what she always did to catch a man like a starving, feral dog. She offered him something that he thought he needed. And she knew exactly what Tommy Shelby needed, she could see it in his cornflower blue eyes, she could tell from the tense hold of his shoulders, how his jaw seemed to clench at any mention of his past.

Tommy Shelby needed a new life, or at least to think he had gotten one. Y/N had friends — and even family — in very high places. And so the chase began, the one where Tommy thought she was chasing him when she was the one holding the cat wand with his dreams at the end of it.

The simple nature of men made Y/N's job easy, all she had to do was send Thomas a few sultry looks and to react to him in discreet ways that he surely saw. Biting her lip seemed to do the trick and soon.. he was finally Y/N's to toy with — she should have felt bad — but she could give a damn about the happiness of a man who's killed more than he has lived...

Or at least... Y/N thought she didn't care. She truly hadn't cared about those she fucked over until that cornflower blue turned into a crystalline ocean that swallowed her whole. She was drowning and had not a damn clue where the surface was.

⎯⎯

Tommy assumed he was the one who fell first, he was sure of it. The feeling of his heart racing whenever he saw her sly glances made him feel like a lovesick teenager. But he couldn't tell if he liked the feeling or not. The powerlessness that Y/N made Thomas experience was strangely warm.

As though he was being held in his mother's warm embrace only to realize it was a cobra wrapping itself around his throat...

The whiplash Y/N gave Tom wasn't the only strange thing about her, she seemed to appear and disappear into thin air as if she wasn't truly real. As if Tommy made her up and was seeing visions... an apparition... a ghost... a bloody phantom that came to make him atone for his sins. And if he wasn't acting out of character already, there was a part of him that enjoyed the thought of her being his undoing.

As though God finally decided to take back what Tom stole from the soul of the land in the best way possible. Through Tommy's only enjoyment these days; sex. And lord... was she the epitome of beauty and grace, with a touch of shamelessness that made her the woman of his dreams.

⎯⎯

As cliche as it may sound, Y/N's never been in love. She grew up in a family that valued possessions more than the people that owned them, the kind of family where an 'I love you' was far and few in between... the kind of family where if you didn't do as your parents said... you'd be ostracized.

And that's exactly what happened to Y/N, at the age of seventeen, she was betrothed to a man twenty years her senior, so she ran. Y/N left behind all her money, her status, her damned family, and most of all, the chains that bound her. She was finally free to be who she was born to be... her-fucking-self.

Despite being removed from her family, Y/N knew how to make her way up the ladders between classes. Once a high class girl, always a high class girl, even if her bastard of a father tried to ruin her life. But not everyone can escape from their past, Y/N soon knew that. The day Tommy confronted her about her family was the day he finally got leverage over her.

⎯⎯

He spoke slowly as he smoked, finally having cornered the woman who's evaded him for nearly two months. "You see..." Tommy mused, pursing his lips and clicking his tongue, "I've been trying to find anything out about you, but there's fuckin' nothing." The man shook his head as Y/N watched him with careful eyes.

"You're probably looking in the wrong places, Mr. Shelby."

Tom chuckled dryly, "Since when is Mr. Shelby, eh? After how you've been lookin' at me, I'd assumed we're on a first name basis...?" He didn't know her name and it made her all the happier. A mocking smile graced her pretty face as Tom's face fell, his unasked question left unanswered.

She let out a shuddering breath and Tommy's eyebrow raised curiously, "Funny isn't it?"

"Funny? What's funny?"

He leaned in close, forcing her to meet his eyes by glancing upward. "It's funny how I've got the whole of Birmingham in my fuckin' pocket, but I can't seem to get a bloody woman to tell me her name,"

"Perhaps you've lost your touch, Mr. Shelby."

The space between Thomas and Y/N was crackling with tension, so thick that she could feel it pressing down on her chest. It would be so simple, so easy to give into the temptation, to just... let him have his way with her. And for some reason, Y/N let Tommy dip his head down to kiss her and for some bloody reason, she wrapped her arms around his neck to pull him closer.

For some crazy reason, Y/N kissed Thomas Shelby back with such ferocity that she was sure he'd faint. Being pushed up against the wall behind her, only egged Y/N on as Tommy slipped his tongue into her mouth when she gasped.

He drew back for air and both of their chest rose quickly as they tried to catch their breaths. She noted how Tom's hand was placed above her head... how he was practically caging her in with the width of his body. The blue of his eyes was completely taken over by his irises as Tom looked down at Y/N. "Your name?"

"Miss Y/L/N. I'm sure you can find the other one easily, Mr. Shelby." He shook his head at her, probably expecting her to crumble under the weight of his heavy gaze. "I must be off, places to be... people to bother..."

"Will I see you again?"

"Of that I can be sure."