➥ Femme Fatale (Part 1)

Word Count: ~ 3,100
Warnings: Cursing, enemies to lovers (eventually), mention of murder, Y/N being a BAD BITCH!
SUMMARY: Thomas Shelby is in need of help and turns to Henry George. In a mutual agreement, the pair begin working together but not too long after, Henry employs Tommy to act as an assassin.

Thomas Shelby has never been seen by no man nor woman. He is just there, fighting for the chance to be seen, loved, cared for, to be seen as more than he was handed as a young lad. Always striving for more than he was born into and willing to do anything in order to achieve his dream of not working to earn someone's respect. To be granted with it as soon as they set eyes on his tailored suit and expensive car.

Even with said dreams slowly aligning themselves, one thing was missing. Tommy memorized the recipe that rich men followed to a tee. And he was missing the final piece, he had the money, the employees, both illegal and legal ways of earning a coin... his family by his side, a position in the government... but one thing seemed to evade him.

One thing seemed three steps ahead of him as he ran toward it, trying to grasp even a semblance of the final piece to his puzzle.

Tommy Shelby needed a trophy wife.

Loveless or not, he didn't care. Every party he attended, almost every man had a woman on his arm. Old, young, middle aged, they all had someone to showcase and flaunt like a trophy after a race. All but Tommy. And he was set on turning that dream into a reality.

If he could thrust his family from being poor to owning multiple estates a piece, who's to say he couldn't find the perfect woman to wed?

As time went on, it proved much harder than he realized. Of course he could marry a woman he already knew but he knew far too much about them. Tommy enjoyed the chase, the running after a woman and wooing her as much as he enjoyed a good fuck.

Then he saw her. It was like a light bulb lit above his head as their eyes met. She was magnetic, a beautifully colored gown adorned her and her smile was even prettier. But her eyes were bored, dull, clearly tired of the affair. Just like Thomas was, he wanted to leave the gala as soon as he stepped his foot in the door but the host, Henry George, could prove to be an important business partner if things went as planned.

John and Arthur joined their brother for the night, "Just in case." Tommy told them he didn't trust the host at all. Hence his brother's tagging along. Even if Tom knew they'd drink themselves useless if he didn't hurry things up.

But suddenly... there was only her. He felt like an idiot, staring at her from across the room like when a child gawks at a goldfish from behind the glass. Tommy felt the slackness in his jaw and despite wanting to hold her gaze for ages, he coughed quickly to disguise his surprise.

Tommy turned back to the couple speaking at him and forced a smile before excusing himself. When he turned to find her in the mass of people, Tommy found nothing but an empty space where she previously stood.

His heart skipped a beat as he realized this had to be a game of sorts. Their eyes met for more than half a minute, she must have recognized Tommy... with that sudden thought, he shook his head at himself. Tommy realized how bloody arrogant he sounded, thinking a woman who was clearly well off in life would recognize the likes of him.

With that notion in mind, he stopped himself and then began making his way toward Henry's office. The meeting was set to start soon.

⎯⎯