➥ Not one of Us

Warnings: Cursing
SUMMARY: Tommy is confused by how much his family loves you. He doesn't take the time to understand why, until he sees you interacting with his son and realizes why and how his family loves someone outside of the family so much

⎯⎯

- He didn't understand what was so wonderful about Y/N L/N.

- Tommy being cold and distant since you are "Not one of us." You would try to get to know him, but Ada would advise you to give up since Tom isn't worth your time.

- Being Ada's friend, you often found yourself at her house and caring for Karl. You loved it, coming from a large family and taking care of children since you were young.

- Polly would invite you to Christmas dinner at Tom's house.

- You didn't want to intrude, so you ask Tom himself and all he says is, "Nobody fucking listens to me anyway."

- Getting everyone (even Tom) small gifts since they've been so welcoming. Getting bear hugs from Arthur despite Linda shooting daggers your way. Finn flirting with you even though you're far older. Babysitting John's children because you don't mind it at all. Esme being forever grateful for you doing just that since it's hard getting time alone with her husband these days.

- At the dinner, Tommy watching from inside as you played with the children, entertaining them so everyone could enjoy their pre-meal drinks.

- Admitting to the family that you don't drink since it clouds your already air filled head.John denying that you're head is full of air since you manage to take care of his scoundrels (his kids) quite well. Tom would find himself watching you throughout the night and just how well you got on with Charles. Charlie would take a liking to you when you and the kids (tried to) decorate sugar cookies. 

- He would cling to your side despite not knowing you, "You're eyes are pretty, Y/N." 

- "Oh, thank you Charlie, who'd you get your eyes from?" You'd ask in return and he'd say his mum. You wouldn't pry about where she was, knowing that she died.

- Ada would convince you to indulge a little and get you to drink a bit of the gin. You'd agreed after a bit of convincing. When you got tipsy, you insisted that everyone opened their presents.

- Running about the room passing out the small gifts.

- You got the men cufflinks and the women (including Linda) matching bracelets. Everyone loved it, even Tom thanked you emotionlessly.

- Once dinner was done, you helped Esme and Ada wash the kids up.

- Charlie went as far as begging for a story and Tom told you to not give in.

- "What's wrong with bending your will a bit for a little one, he's a child. Not a bloody politician." You'd blush, knowing that Tom was a 'bloody politician.'

- Tommy brushing your accidental insult off with "Everyone hates me at this point."

- Charlie would convince you to read him nearly five stories before Tom put his foot down with, "Let the woman sleep, Charles." He would tuck his son in before turning to you.

- "Thank you for... everything."

- "Of course, Mr. Shelby."

- He'd insist that you call him Tom and you'd agree. "Would you like a drink?"

- You two would drink in silence before he spoke again."Do you have a husband, Ms. L/N?"

- You'd say no then ask him why he cared. "Just wondering how such an enigmatic woman like yourself hasn't taken a man."

- This would make you confused, "You say that as if I've chosen this life."

- Tom would merely shrug and down his whiskey before getting more, "You seem like a woman who doesn't let others choose for her."

- "What if I want someone to choose for me?" This would startle Tommy, "Even if I'm not one of you." 

- "One of us?"

- You'd nod, "One of the Shelby's. Even if I'm not family. I want a family of my own and I don't seem to be capable of making the right choices."

- He'd laugh, "Neither do I, according to my family." This was the first time you'd ever even seen him smile. Hearing him laugh on your account felt empowering.

- "Why don't you like me?" You'd blurt, not being able to contain yourself anymore.

- Tom would give you his trademark 'what do you mean' face before growing silent. Just staring into your eyes, "I don't dislike you." This would make you sigh in relief. He'd lean backward, "Just didn't trust you until today."

- "What about today was different than yesterday or the day prior?"

- "Charlie hasn't taken to anyone that quickly since his mum passed. I saw happiness in his beady little eyes when you agreed to read him those stupid stories. It's hard to make that boy smile like that..." You hadn't noticed the glow in the boy's eyes. He just looked hyper from the sugar, 

- "I'm glad I could be of help..."This was the start of a wonderful sense of trust between you two. Go so far as to becoming Charles' nanny because he loved you that much.Tommy found himself falling for you despite the odd circumstances and you felt the same.

- Not that either of you would ever admit it... bloody scoundrels.