➥ Closer

Word Count: ~ 1,600
Warnings: Cursing, bad family relationship, Kind!Tommy
SUMMARY: You've been avoiding your family since they kicked out and after nearly a decade they contact you

⎯⎯

It was hard for you to not feel guilty. You were actively avoiding the entire affair, just resorting to shoving the stupidly pretty invitation into your desk drawer and trying to not think about it. It was easy the farther away it was... but now? A week away? Your nails had become your victims, chewing them down to their beds and peeling away the top layer all because of that damned invitation.

Your first thought when you saw the 'save the date' was, "They remembered me." and happiness... then it set in. The anger, the grudge you've had since you were sixteen against your arsehole family. They were the very people who kicked you out as soon as you were able to take care of yourself.

All because you refused to marry that bastard of a man... he was arrogant, rude, and a blatant wanker in your opinion. He would just annoy the shite out of you while you rotted away in his large mansion in London. So, you left... well, at first it wasn't your choice. But eventually, you told those who asked that it was your choice.

Although it seems that your family's refusal to accept your very rational refusal... led to better avenues. You managed to nag a job working for Shelby Company Limited. With the stoic man known as Thomas Shelby as your boss. He wasn't mean or rude, maybe a tad arrogant, but he believed in you.

You'd just started a secretary course back home and managed to put that knowledge to use when you met him. You were struggling, terribly. Most of the time, you could only afford to buy the bare minimum and were constantly struggling to pay rent on time. That's how you met Thomas actually... one rainy, horribly dreary night in Small Heath that changed everything.

⎯⎯

It wasn't like you to be as late on rent as you were, but times were hard and your job as a market worker didn't pay much. You had tried getting a better one, but alas, no one wanted to hire a sixteen-year-old runaway....

And that's how you ended up with a suitcase of your small amount of belongings in hand and a newspaper atop your head to keep your hair relatively dry as the rain slammed against you violently. You swore the world was mad at you for being careless... you just wanted some fucking tea and bought it because you were drunk and angry.

When a car drove beside you slowly, you got anxious and worried that it was death himself sat in the driver seat. You supposed seeing Thomas Shelby was a bit better, not by much but it meant you probably had a different fate than to be kidnapped and never seen again. "Oi! Get in!" He called and opened the passenger door.

You knew better than to trust strangers, "What's in it for me?"

Even now, you're not sure if he laughed that night, but you know you heard something like a chuckle.

"You won't get a cold? And you'd be home in no time!"

A shake of your head, "Haven't got a home, Mr. Shelby! Got kicked out just now, told to fuck off and never to return."

You saw how he grew confused before he did something you weren't anticipating. He got out of the car and rounded the front, "I can give you a ride to my sister's house... she lives far away but I don't think you'd like staying at my house."

"I don't even know you, why're you being so kind? I've heard the stories you know?" That was probably your first mistake of the night, mentioning Thomas' darker side, that is.