➥ The Proposal

Word Count: 2,739
Warnings: Cursing, death, guns
Summary: Tom tells you and Ada to stay home, but you don't listen. You and Ada end up in the middle of a standoff between the Peaky Blinders and Billy Kimber's men. Instead of staying to the sidelines, you decide to do the unthinkable. 

⎯⎯

You knew that when Tom burst into Ada's home that something was wrong. From the way his eyes were wide and filled with what looked like fear to the tense arch of his shoulders. He pointed at the two of you, Ada holding Karl in her arms lovingly was about to scream at Tom for busting into the house. "The both of you, stay here!" He was demanding and it frightened you.

Due to your stubbornness, you immediately wanted to object against his order. But something about how he looked frightened you to your core. Without another word, Thomas left the house and you and Ada shared a look. You had no idea what he could be talking about but Ada must have had an idea. Her eyes widened, "It's today."

"What's today?" Your voice was confused, you didn't know of anything special happening today. And if it was so special, why did Tom look so worried?

Ada chuckled, "Black Star Day. I should have fuckin' knew that idiot would go through with it." Ada handed Karl to you and this caused your confusion to only grow. You remembered hearing something about Black Star Day from John. He never explained exactly what it was but you recalled something about a fight.

"What're you doing?"

"What's it look like I'm doing? I fuckin' going, I'm not letting them get themselves killed." As much as you wanted to defy Tom, he looked serious. When his pale blue eyes met yours, you saw something you never saw in them before. Even before the war, you'd never seen such fear in Thomas Shelby's eyes. It was an odd look on him.

For Tom's only true fear in life was losing control. You felt a spike of confidence, "Well, if you're going, so am I!" Ada doesn't oppose as she opens her wardrobe, her hands immediately finding a black dress, "Why black?" You ask as Karl burps in your arms, you rub and pat his small back. The small boy reminded you of a dream you had, of having a child when you grew up. But when you were yanked from your home and shipped off to a new family that dream faded into nothing.

"In preparation for the funeral's we'll have to attend if these men go through with this stupid fight." Ada's words scared you, Tom's face flashed in your mind, then John, then Arthur, and poor Finn! Your heart rate skyrocketed.

"We have to stop them." You said this with a tight jaw and hard eyes, you wouldn't let the boys slaughter themselves. Not without a fight that is. The Shelby woman nodded and got dressed quickly before taking Karl so you could borrow one of her black dresses. As much as you sometimes hate the boys and their useless fights, you loved them without a doubt. The Shelby's raised you until you were adopted, you and Tom were the best of friends.

Returning from France was hard, but you found that although both you and Tom have changed, your friendship was still there. The thought that the fighting had already begun only made you dress faster. "Let's go," Ada had Karl in his stroller. Why in the world would she bring her child? You thought to yourself and Ada noticed how you were eyeing the black carrier. "They won't shoot a baby..." Ada looked blankly at the stone ground for a moment, "I hope."

"They won't and if they do, I'll personally see to it they all fucking die." Your jaw tightens at the mere thought of the sweet baby Karl being hurt in the process. "Perhaps we should stay here."

Ada shakes her head, "No, I'm not letting them kill themselves because they're thinking with their cocks and not with the heads on their shoulders." You wanted to laugh at Ada's vulgarity, but the weight of the situation made your heart thump in your ears. The black dress was similar to the color of the bricks that paved the ground, it also reminded you of the possible fatalities that would come if Ada or you didn't stop the fight from happening.