➥ After All

Word Count: ~ 480
Warnings: Angst, sadness, mention of toxicity in relationships
SUMMARY: Although Tom has hurt you gravelly, you still love him

⎯⎯

The tears streamed slowly and silently, the sight of a broken man before you. As much as you wanted and tried to hate him, you couldn't. How could one hate a fallen angel? It wasn't Tom's fault that he was trying so hard every day.

But it was most definitely his fault that he broke you along with himself. It wasn't due to neglect or abuse, it was probably your fault that you got too attached to him. The relationship became too much, he would get distant... then you'd leave... then you'd go back. But when he left you for Grace Burgess, the pain was far too much.

You wouldn't lie though, it felt like a win when you heard of her leaving town. The instinctual smile felt wrong even though Tom finally felt a fraction of your pain. He felt the devastation you did, when he told you that he decided on Grace and not you. "She's the one I want." The words struck you like fists and all you could do was nod and cry.

Even though your heart was battered and beaten, it still beat on. Slowly and steady, but still there. He kneeled before you, unshed tears glistening in his eyes, a silent plea sounded in his eyes. Taking your eyes off of him was like trying to swim with weights strapped to your ankles. You forced yourself to look at the wall behind him, knowing that if you kept staring in his eyes, you'd take him back.

The relationship, although the most toxic thing in your life, fulfilled you whenever he showed love. And it seemed that every time you left, a gaping hole formed in your chest where your heart used to beat. Maybe, you were delusional... but you were sure of one thing.

Sure of the fact that you loved Tom despite how riddled with pain you were, nearly crippled. When he showed up at your door, you didn't think twice about letting him in. If you were being honest, you let him in both physically, through the door, and mentally, through your heart.

"The worst thing is, that even after all of that, I'm still in love with you." He lifted his head and opened his arms for you. All you did was step forward and Tom hugged your waist and pressed his ear against your stomach.

A sob racked through your chest and you pressed your palm over your mouth to silent your gasps. "Come back to me please, I'm lost without you." His words only further wounded you, like a dull knife slicing dry bread. "Please." Thomas pleaded and he clung to you like a koala.

As much as you thought you should say no, there was no doubt in your mind that you were going to end up letting him back in again. "Okay," Was all you could muster.