➥ Sapphire Blue (Part 2)

Word Count: ~ 1,025
Warnings: Cursing, abuse
SUMMARY: One mistake ruined it all and took you back to those haunting eyes.
This is the sequel to "Cornflower Blue"

⎯⎯

It seemed that your time had run out. You tried everything you could to avoid the painful truth, to stay away from those who broke you down to nothing... but everything that goes around must eventually come around. It's the silent truth that's sung in the streets...

The solemn promise made between man and the Earth. What's taken, must be replaced with that of the same value. And in this case, you were that value. Merely an item in a transaction, a penny one finds on the ground for say.

You hadn't expected for the clock to run out so quickly when it felt like just yesterday when you first got away. When you first broke the solemn promise between yourself and your family... the ultimate betrayal, some would call it. But you considered it the only option.

No one was on your side but you. Your family stupidly expected you to lay on your side and submit, but you belonged to no one but yourself. And you liked it that way... that's what originally brought you to England and it's exactly what made you leave.

Despite the aliases you've used over the years, it seemed to be to no avail. Your real name would be whispered in the streets and you'd tuck tail and run. You despised running, but it was all in the name of survival.

But now? Now you were caught, stuck between a rock and a hard place. Shuffling back and forth at the end of an alleyway while rabid dogs snarl and snap their jaws at you, their next meal. You're just trying to find the surface of the dark murky water you've found yourself drowning in. Trying your hardest to hold your breath but something grasped your ankle and you belted out a scream.

And that scream gave you up. It was a Wednesday when you screamed and let those looking to restore the balance find you. A woman must have heard your name wrong because she called you, Y/N... not Y/A. Your face felt cold, in fact, it was as though someone took you out of sunny Los Angeles and catapulted you all the way to Alaska.

You felt numb after you responded immediately, nearly a decade later and you still knew your name. The one your mother so sweetly gave you upon your arrival in 1899. One year before your younger brother and five after your eldest brother. A middle child. The only girl.

So of course you were destined to be married off for status... and that's why you were brought to LA. Away from your horrible husband-to-be and treacherous family. But, as aforementioned, your time was up. Used to completion and ready to implode and implode it did.

After one fatal mistake, the pieces of your mind fell... one... by one. And even after so long, the pretty cornflower blue of an almost flame's eyes once again wouldn't leave your mind. It was a welcome distraction, but you needed to stay sharp... focused. But how could you focus when those piercing eyes wouldn't leave your mind?

⎯⎯

"After all this fucking time, I've got you." That's what you expected to be the first words he'd say to you after leaving him at the wedding altar. Or an insult, truth be told. But you didn't expect nothing to be said and only pain to be felt.

A slap across the cheek, then blow after blow after blow until you couldn't even feel it anymore. And the strangest thing that ever happened to you was the sound of the owner of those cornflower blue eyes. "Funny seeing you here, eh?" Despite the agony you were clearly going through, the bastard had the gall to sound sarcastic.

You were unsure who he was talking to, you or the man before yourself... but it didn't matter to your delirious brain. It was hard to see Thomas' face but you knew it was him by how you were thrown to the floor. A ringing sound drowned out the sudden fight, but it ended quickly. Thankfully.

⎯⎯

The sky appeared far darker than you remembered, covered in a seemingly permanent smog. It was a deeper, richer color that seemed to have been taken from the depths of the Pacific. A pretty blue... not quite cornflower blue, but rather... a sapphire blue.

A sight for sore eyes and by god, were you sore. You felt aches in places you didn't think could ache... your head still sounded like the inside of a car motor. There were ticks and screeches and just. so. much. noise.

Your eyes opened and the sapphire blue didn't dissipate, but rather grew far stronger as you met the eyes of Thomas Shelby. "Welcome back to the land of the living, Ms. Y/L/N." Hearing that damned surname made you cringe against the light. His words struck a chord within you, confusion covered your beaten face and made your aching brain hurt more.

You've been dead since the day you left that wedding chapel, so why did Tom Shelby of all people think otherwise? "How'd I get here?" The sound of your voice was far from pleasant and the feeling accompanied with speaking was just as bad.

"By boat," You wanted to roll your eyes but stopped yourself from doing so, finding the darker tone of his eyes just as mesmerizing as the original color. It seemed he too had changed in the last five or so years. "The doctor said to ask if you knew your name to see if you were competent, so, for the last time, what's your name?"

A bittersweet smile grew on your face, his eyes had haunted you for half a decade as you saw the world with the intention of staying alive. And here you were, hardly three feet away from them as he sat on the stark white sheet of the hospital bed. "I'm sure you already know it, Mr. Shelby."

"Still want to hear you say it,"

"Y/N. My name is Y/N." It seemed you'd never escape the sapphire blue you now found yourself drowning in.