➥ Worth It

Word Count: 436
Warnings: Cursing, guns
SUMMARY: Tom claims he wasn't worth your near sacrifice and you deny his outlandish claim.

⎯⎯

The first thing that popped into your mind was 'jump in front of him' and so you listened to it. When you saw the man with a gun pointed at Tom's back, your feet were moving before you could overthink as the man pulled the trigger. Your hearing seemed to disappear for a moment when the sound vibrated off the bricks of the alleyway.

Both you and Tom ended up on the ground with you on top of him. Tom reacted faster than you did. He had his gun in hand pointing in the direction of the gunman. You winced loudly at the ringing in your ears, the gun was awfully close to your head after all. Instead of slowly helping you up, Tom hauled you up and gripped your arms tightly.

"What the fuck were you thinking?"

Your chest heaved up and down, "I wasn't. I saw the gun and then–" The fire in Tom's eyes scared you, he looked furious. Why would he be mad... if you saved him from death, or at least gave him more time to build his empire that is.

Tom's sneer made you cower a bit as he leaned over you, "Don't you dare do that again!" You felt like a child, being scolded like one.

"I fucking saved you!" You retorted loudly, your hearing finally coming back.

"You nearly fucking died, don't risk your life for me. I'm not worth it." His voice softened toward the end of his sentence, the flames in his ocean eyes burning out due to the waves crashing. Tom loosened his grip and your eyebrows formed a crease in your skin, the fragile tone of his voice worrying you more than he angered you.

Even though Tommy isn't fond of physical affection, you knew he needed something. Your hands rest on his cheeks and your lip quivers. Tom's eyes closed and his long lashes kissed the apple of his cheeks. "Don't say that, Tommy." You pulled his face down toward yours, eyes never leaving his, "You're worth it, I don't go about jumping in front of guns every day."

Tom surprised you with the sound of a chuckle, "I hope not." He opened his eyes and grabbed your wrist, kissing the skin softly. "I don't know what I would have done if you actually took the bullet, Y/N." There was a tenderness in his raspy voice, one you saw only once in a blue moon.

The smile that graced your lips was weak but genuine, "You wouldn't survive a day without me, Thomas. You can't cook to save your life." Your words were a double-edged blade, little did you know that Thomas Shelby truly wouldn't be able to survive a day in a world that didn't have you.