➥ Full of Surprises

Word Count: ~ 770
Warnings: Pregnancy fear, fluffy!Tom
SUMMARY: You were terrified to tell Tom you were pregnant, but once again, the infamous Thomas Shelby managed to surprise you

⎯⎯

Discussing his feelings was not something Tommy necessarily liked doing. Hell, he was terrible at it too. But you were always patient, willing to wait as he tried to find the words for how he felt. You were wide awake when Tommy's voice broke through the chilly air.

It was pitch black outside and you'd been trying to sleep for hours. You and Tom laid on your backs, not touching. The space between you feeling rather large at the sound of his raspy voice. "What's happened to us?" It stung, to say the least.

That Tommy noticed you distancing yourself. It was a defense mechanism, you noticed how he spoke about the prospect of children and grew frightened to tell him that you were pregnant. So, instead of seeking comfort, you built a short wall and added a brick with each passing day, You wanted to play stupid, but Tom's hand found yours under the blanket.

And although you couldn't see him, you knew he was staring at you. With your eyes trained on the ceiling, avoiding his heavy gaze "I don't know." The lie sounded feasible, but Tom heard it the moment you began speaking. You hated how well he knew you in that moment, when he shifted in the bed to get a better look at you.

Even with the curtains drawn shut, the moonlight managed to find its way into the room to illuminate his handsome face. "Yes you do, you've been avoiding me, why?" His voice was oddly soft. You had expected him to be angry. To lash out and call you the names you've heard him shout at those who dare to piss off Thomas Shelby. He squeezed your hand and you felt nervous to explain what you were feeling.

How terrified you were for him to want to rid you of his spawn. For him to send you down to that lady Ada almost went to see when she was pregnant with Karl. "Do you want children, Tom?" You decided to get a straight answer before admitting that you were pregnant.

Polly figured it out immediately upon seeing you. Grasping your breast with a gasp. "A baby girl..." She'd mumbled excitedly. Tom didn't answer for some time. This proved only to add to your growing nerves. Afraid you were going to blurt out that you were carrying his child you bit down on your lip, nearly drawing blood.

"I think so, I've always wanted a family of me own..." He sounded timid, something you never thought you'd use to describe Thomas Shelby. You gulped loudly, he heard it because he used his hand to turn your face so you could look at him. "What's wrong?" He sounded worried and concerned and it was strange coming from him.

Husband or not, Tom has never been the one to comfort you. He's tried, but it's usually consisted of him offering a hug or allowing you to cry on his shoulder. He's never been the one to make the other open up with words. Always accepting silence since he's so bad at discussing emotions.

You looked into his eyes and saw no anger, no rage... just worry. "I'm–" You squeezed your eyes closed, not wanting to see if rage flashed through his eyes once you muttered the word, "–I'm pregnant, Tommy." No sound left his body, all you could hear was his breaths. Unlike before you said the words, they were now rushed and rapid.

"Really?" Tom sounded in awe at the fact, you nodded, opening your eyes to look into his once more. You didn't see the wrath you were expecting... but rather... happiness? He leaned down to truly look into your eyes, "You're actually fuckin' pregnant?"

"I'm two months late and even Polly said I was..." You whispered with a small smile. The sight of Tom's eyes lighting up making your heart warm. "Are you happy?"

He scoffed loudly at you, "Happy?" Tom shook his head for a moment, "I'm fucking thrilled, Y/N. A little baby... a small us... can you imagine?" The happiness he held in his body was transferred to you.

You nodded with a smirk, "I can only imagine how volatile she'll be... with her mother's temper and her father's wit..."

Only one word stuck out to Tom, she. "A girl?" You cursed under your breath but agreed slowly with a 'yea'. "Oh my god," Tommy fell back onto his bed, the beautiful smile that you've missed so wide. "I can't believe I'm going to be a dad..." You weren't expecting such delight from him.

Thomas Shelby truly was full of surprises.