Chapter 42 - Frustration of Change

Nekoma vs Karasuno.

"Hey Ukai," I spoke up, keeping my eyes on the game. I felt him glance at me from the corner of his eye. "Did you see Shoyo's expression?"

"Expression?" he asked, confused.

"When Lev blocked him just now... His expression seemed like the one from when Seijoh blocked him," I said, watching as Hinata competitively stared at him. "Things are going to change in Shoyo. I wonder if it will be good for the team or cause a rift."

Kageyama jumped, setting the ball to Asahi. Lev jumped after him, the ball hitting his palm. "I tou... One touch!" Lev shouted.

"For a second there, I really thought he'd been taken in by Hinata too! Even though he was a step behind he still got high enough to block it!" Suga said amazed, yet his expression was full of exasperation,

"Free ball!" "Take that!"

"Huahh! We got hit with a counter!"

"You'll get the next one!" "Dammit!"

"Should we call a timeout?" Takeda asked and I looked over to Ukai who nodded.

The boys surrounded us as Ukai spoke. "Keep your cool. They've been on high alert for that quick strike since the beginning, so it's understandable. For now, use Azumane and Tanaka on the left as the pivot of attack against Nekoma."

"Got it." "Osu!" "Hell yeah!"

Ukai grit his teeth. 'Is this really alright? Ain't I just bein' weak-kneed about this.'

'Do you think they'll evolve by playing it safe Kenshin?' Coach Nekomata thought to himself. 'If you keep doing that, then the monster next to you will stray from the path and continue to walk on her own.'

'Oh man... what is this... Nekoma... Lev... They're really strong teams... So strong. We've gotta get stronger, or we won't be able to beat them.'

I narrowed my eyes at Hinata who was smiling, his fist clenching his shirt. 'His aura... it's changing?'

"Nice serve!" "Cover it!"

"Sorry it's a bit short!" Daichi shouted

"Asahi!" "Last hit Asahi!"

"Huh?" I blurted out, eyes wide as I watched both Hinata and Asahi jump for the ball. The two bumped into each other and Hinata fell to the ground. 'Hinata didn't seem to notice him?'

"A-ARE YOU O-OKAY!?" Asahi asked, worried.

"I-I'm sorry! I was only looking at the ball and...! Sorry! Did you get hurt?!" Hinata rambled.

"I'm just fine." "Hinata you alright?"

"Hinata dumbass!" "I'm okayyy."

"C'mon be more careful," Tanaka laughed.

"I mean you're the one that's going to get knocked out, you know," Noya jabbed and Hinata apologized again.

"Dumbass! Dumbass Hinata!" Kageyama shouted.

"Pay close attention to things around you dumbass! Why the hell do you think we call stuff out all the time, dammit!" Ukai yelled, an irk mark on his face as he pointed at Hinata. 'It was definitely unconsciously, but just now Hinata seemed as if he were trying to steal away the toss sent to the ace.'

'So it's time for the baby crow to grow up, huh...? Will that bode well or ill for the team? Still those who don't seek to change won't evolve. If that is what you're searching for, then whether you're a star on the court, or a hero, or an ace who propels your team to victory... You could say that that avid pursuit is what places you at the very top.'