Chapter 56 - Let's Do This

"If we win twice in tomorrow's preliminaries we can advance to the representative playoffs in October," Takeda explained as he looked at the matchup sheet. "The eight schools that make it through this first preliminary, along with an additional eight veterans, will compete in the representative playoffs in October."

"We only have two matches in the first preliminary?" Hinata questioned.

"We made it into the best sixteen during the Interhigh Prelims, so we're exempt from the first game this time around," Suga answered.

The ginger gawked. "Woah! We're awesome!"

"The way you guys are now, you can definitely make it through!" (Y/N) exclaimed, her hands on her hips. "Let's do what we always do, but 100% better!"

"HELL YEAAAAH!"

Kiyoko, Yachi, and (Y/N) all watched as the boys ran to the courts.

"W-We're finally having an o...official match... I'm g-g-getting nervous..." Yachi stuttered out, trembling.

"This will be your first official match after all," Kiyoko replied, smiling.

"Uh huh..."

"It will be my last," Kiyoko mumbled and Yachi began to tear up. (Y/N) paused, looking at her with wide eyes.

"Sorry, sorry, don't cry!"

Yachi rubbed her eyes. "I-I'm not! A mosquito just flew into my eye is all...!"

"A mosquito?!"

"Hitoka, here! Use my handkerchief." (Y/N) held out the cloth to her but the girl continued to cry, making the older two panic.

"What're you looking at so enthusiastically, sensei?" Ukai asked his partner who was sitting beside the girls.

"Oh, Ukai-kun. Well... Our first years are incredible, but... I was wondering if other schools also have amazing first years, so..."

"Ah... Him, huh... He sure is." Ukai sweatdropped. "Looks like tomorrow will be tricky, too..."

Taking in a deep breath, I dribbled the basketball between my hands.

The street court was empty with only me being there. It was barely lit if not thanks for the street lights.

Closing my eyes as I continued to stabilize my breathing, honing my scenes, I slowly opened them, a zap of a yellow stream appearing.

The world seemed quiet as I entered the zone, the only sound filling my ears was my breathing and basketball which sounded echoey.

As I continued to dribble the ball hand to hand, between my legs, I visualized my opponent.

His pink-red hair, those mismatched colored eyes, his height, his expression, everything.

Taking the first step, I began to move, the image of Akashi moving as well.

It was as if I were playing against the real him with how he moved to block and defend against me. We both continued to move back and forth at speed worthy of members of the Generation of Miracles.

The game I was playing out seemed like a dance with how fluid and fast paced it was. Though, to the outside eye, I probably looked like an idiot who was playing by herself.

Passing the ball to my right hand behind my back, I rushed forward, dribbling the ball between my legs and through Akashi's as his weight shifted ever so slightly. I charged towards the basket, jumping up into the air, twisting as I dunked the ball through the hoop.