Chapter 50 - Third Year

Finding out that Shirogane collapsed shocked everyone, especially since he wouldn't be able to return during their third year. Thankfully, his condition wasn't anything life threatening.

    "But~ What should we do?" Murasakibara asked, carrying his box of donuts.

    "What can we so-ssu? ...Well, it's no use just worrying," Ryouta replied, putting his hands in his pockets.

    "Since Nijimura-senpai and the other senpais visited him today, we should visit him sometime after tomorrow too," Kuroko suggested.

    "But we should try to go as soon as we can. Apparently he's going to be transferred to another hospital with better equipment shortly. And it seems that the hospital is rather far away..." Momoi explained, a sad expression on her face.

    "Eh?! Seriously?!" (Y/N) shouted, groaning as she ran a hand down her face. "After our championship win, there's been a constant stream of magazine reporters... They called me out yesterday for an interview and inside information."

"It's hard for us too... But Akashicchi and Midorimacchi were even specially called out today." Ryouta sighed. "If we resume our regular training on top of all of them all we'll be able to do is drop by and see him for a moment-ssu."

"Even so, I think we should still go," Kuroko said, looking over his shoulder. "And also... Aomine-kun?"

"Yeah I'm listening... Sure I guess?" Aomine replied.

"I see..."

Everyone noticed and were clearly aware, but they decided to not touch upon the subject. The subject that Aomine had changed. He just looked so so so tired.

Tired like (Y/N).

"Murasakibaracchi, is it just me or have you been eating more than usual-ssu?" Ryouta asked, changing the subject as the purple haired teen chewed on his donut.

"Not really... It's not like I'm worried, you know? But for some reason, I've been really hungry recently..."

"I can't help but feel like I'm surging with strength~... If I start playing for real, I feel like I'll even crush my allies," Murasakibara said as he looked at his palm. His eyes seemed different, more dim.

"...Huh." Ryouta blurted out, shocked and Akashi narrowed his eyes.

Aomine began yelling at another player and Kuroko was going to walk up to him but stopped, looking down. Momoi's grip on her clipboard tightened as she looked away with a tearful expression.

(Y/N)'s jaw clenched, but she silently handed a water bottle to Midorima who ignored the mess. "(Y/N)," he said, making the girl crane her neck to look up at him. "Stay with me after practice nanodayo. I want to work on shooting."

"Alright Shintaro." She had a close eyed smile. "I'll help-" Aomine's shouting got louder and (Y/N) got annoyed. She decided to put her foot down, slamming it against the gym floor as she yelled, "Oi Ahomine!" Everyone in the gym went quiet, giving her incredulous looks. "Stop yer whining tantrum and get back to practice! That goes for all of you as well! Get a move on! We don't have all day to stand around!"

Aomine clicked his tongue while the newbies shouted, "Osu!"

She turned back to Shintaro. "Like I said, I'll stay extra and help you out."

"Thank you," Midorima mumbled and handed her back the water, running onto the court.

'So it's already happening. It's not enough to say for sure, but... I'm probably seeing glimpses of what Coach Shirogane was worried about. If I'm not careful, in the worst case scenario the team will fall apart... Do I have the ability to lead them? No, that doesn't matter... I have no choice. But the one thing's for certain, I can't be the one to cause their downfall. If it looks like they're having a bad influence on the team, even if they are flawless players, perhaps I should have them step down from their positions as starting members... Or it may be necessary to demote them to a second string. That's one way to help them. Being too delicate with them and giving them special treatment probably won't do a thing.'