Chapter 44 - The Ace and Thief

The two went back and forth, the game being fast paced and intense. Even so, the two prodigies were still holding back, not going all out or past their limits. It was like the two were dancing a tune to find something.

Aomine charged forward, the ball dribbling against the ground. (Y/N) moved, her eyes and body following him as she guarded him. Aomine dribbled in between his legs, he moved back before twisting past (Y/N). She gritted her teeth as he jumped into the air and slammed the ball into the basket.

"You know (N/N)..." Aomine started and she picked up the ball, eyes narrowing as she started to dribble towards him. "We're like two peas in a pod." She ran forward. "So tell me why did you join such a weak team?"

She stopped in front of him, dribbling with her left hand. "I don't know, but when I watched them play." She passed him, jumping for a layup. "My heart was beating, I was feeling thrilled. It reminded me of the past and how I used to feel when I played on the court."

Aomine jumped up, blocking the basketball and grabbing it. "Thrill? From watching those weaklings?" he mocked, running back. (Y/N) chased after him. "How can you feel thrilled from being with those weaklings?" She gritted her teeth, reaching over smacking the ball from his hand. "You of all people should know how boring it is to play against those who are weaker than you."

"Yeah I know!" (Y/N) shouted, charging forward, she jumped into the air. "I fucking know how it feels! But those boys-!" Aomine jumped in front of her, arm in the air. "Even though they are weak, even though they lost..." Using her strength, she dunked the ball in the basket. "I felt something even for a moment and I want to feel that feeling again no matter what! The way they struggled, the way they worked together as a team, their feelings somehow reached me, who was watching on the bench... If sticking by their side is the only way to get my passion back for sports, then I'll gladly stay by them!"

Aomine scoffed, narrowing his eyes at the blond. "And so what if you find your passion in sports again? You'll get back on the court and play only to get disappointed again on how much weaker everyone is. You will be the strongest on the court and no one will be able to keep up with you (N/N)!" Aomine and (Y/N) moved against each other, the two moving their bodies and feet. "You will get left behind again, by both your opponents and teammates." He moved to the left, (Y/N) leaning to the side only for Aomine to switch directions, twirling past her and dunking the ball.

"Don't you think I know that?" (Y/N) snapped, eyes glaring at him. "The cycle will repeat all over again, but even so, I want to go on the court and for a moment, I want to play again just like I did in the past and with you guys."

"Heh, you're an idiot (N/N). Do you really think that everything will go back as before? We all changed," Aomine responded, a dark blue aura surrounding him.

A yellow aura surrounded (Y/N) as she stood in place, dribbling the ball. "I know, but Tetsu... He changed Ryo and I believe in him, I believe that he, Taiga, and Serin can change you all and bring back your love for the sport!" (Y/N) yelled out as the two countered against each other. "I want to believe in Tetsu as I believe in those boys to help me change... And the only way to do that is to try and move forward and accept myself!"

"You changing? Don't make me laugh (N/N)! You're the one who ran away from sports, you changed yourself to hide away your true feelings. You refuse to change into someone else completely because you're afraid!" Aomine shouted as he reached over to steal the ball from her.

(Y/N) leaned back, moving the ball behind her and to her right hand. She shifted her weight and fell back towards the ground, throwing the ball into the air and getting a three. Her backside hit against the ground and she pushed herself up. "Yeah, I'm afraid to change. I keep telling myself I need to change, but I'm terrified to take the first step. I watch everyone else as they transform, but I'm still standing still... I'm a giant hypocrite who realizes it! But I can't help, but be afraid to change! I'm afraid to do something about it even though I want to! Which is why-!" She looked Aomine in the eyes, burning with emotion. "I'll keep trying, I'll keep waiting for someone to grab me by the hand and pull me, to help me run forward!"