Chapter 8 - Battle Against Johzenji High (Part 1)

All the school teams lined up in the gymnasium. In the bleachers were students wearing their uniforms facing the court where their teams were standing. As we all stood on our courts, the principle who I assumed was from Shiratorizawa was holding a wireless mic in his hands.

"Attention everyone," he began. "Welcome to our first every school combined volleyball event. I hope everyone is having fun! This event was to connect each school in the Miyagi prefecture and to let you students have a break and enjoy your school life with your fellow peers. Before we begin the games let us give a round of applause for each team standing on these courts."

The claps and cheers of students filled the gymnasium and I felt myself grow a little more self conscious.

"On court one we have Karasuno High Year 1 Class 3 going against Johzenji High Year 2 Class 5. On court two is Aoba Johsai Year 3 Class 6 against Wakutani South High Year 3 Class 1. And finally on court three is Date Tech Year 3 Class 2 against Shiratorizawa Academy Year 3 Class 3. Let the games begin and I hope everyone has fun!"

Another round of cheers erupted and the principle of Shiratorizawa walked off the courts and headed somewhere else, my guess was probably to the bleachers. My team huddled around our bench and I could tell that we were all a bit nervous, well Tobio didn't look nervous at all.

"Alright guys," I say and clap my hands together. My team looks at me. "Let's just have fun and play like there is no tomorrow! Let's start off with formation one. We got this!" I put my hand out and one by one we put our hands on top of each other. "Karasuno fight!"

"Fight!" they all shouted in unison after me and we walked onto the court.

Formation one consisted of our tallest players being in the front which meant that Kaito, Tobio, and Yuki would be in the front while Kagera, Amu, and I in the back. This is our high blocking formation. Although Yuki and Kagera are the same height, Yuki sucks at receiving so he stays in the front even though Kagera has more spiking power than him. Formation two is when I go in the front with Tobio and Kagera, our strongest spiking lineup. Formation three is when Tobio, Amu, and I are in the back with the three boys in the front, our strongest defensive form. Basically, Amu and Yuki never leave their positions. Kagera, Tobio, Kaito, and I keep switching since we are honestly better players, Tobio and I being the most useful and best all rounders.

"Now then," I mutter to myself as I prepare to serve. "Let the game begin!"

Third Person POV

(Y/N) spins the volleyball in her hands as she prepares to serve. The Karasuno bleachers watch in anticipation to see what their well-known first year will bring to the table. The whistle blows and (Y/N) throws the ball up into the air and she starts to run. She jumps into the air and with monstrous strength she hits the volleyball with her left hand and it flies to the other side of the court, hitting the right corner with perfect precision. The entirety of the bleachers - both Karasuno and Johzenji go quiet. The line judge points the flag at the corner and the ref blows the whistle, giving Karasuno a point.

The Karasuno bleachers shout and cheer in excitement. "Nice serve (Y/N)! Give us another (Y/N)!" they shout as she goes back to the line.

"You got this (Y/N)!" Kaito shouts to her and she nods at him.

Throwing the ball to serve another jump serve she slams it in between two of the players who hesitate to get it since they didn't want to run into each other. The Karasuno bleachers cheer again at another point earned for them. As (Y/N) prepares to serve another one she sees Tobio put two fingers behind him, a sign to switch up the serve to a jump floater serve. Taking four steps after throwing the ball up, she gently hits the ball as it floats to the other side.