Chapter 32

The creepy silence and dark sight of the town greeted Bell and me the moment we had arrived with the man's carriage. It wasn't complete darkness as some of the houses had light coming from either their candles or oil lamps.

"Now, Bell, I know that you are still sleepy-" a yawn escaped from Bell as I was giving her a piggyback.

"-but demons are active during the night and we, or more like I, need you awake." I glanced at Bell and she was slowly starting to wake up. When I thought she was no longer half-asleep, I let her stand on her own.

I lifted my arm as a sign for my Kasugai Crow to land on my arm and as usual, the bird landed on my head.

"I know there weren't any reports about this place but are there any demons nearby?" calming my anger down with a deep breath, I asked the bird who only raised its wing towards one way.

"Rumours say there is weird disappearance over there!" a scream escaped from it and I nodded as thanks. How these birds gather all this information is still unknown to me but do I care? Nope. They make my job easier after all.

Going towards the place where the Kasugai Crow pointed and what greeted us was an old shrine. Or more like a ruined shrine. Even if the roof was still attached, everything else was a mess with holes and stuff.

"Bell, get ready. Time for your lessons." I told Bell and she only tilted her head in confusion until I dragged her away from the demon's attack. The demon clicked his tongue when he missed us and jumped back to gain distance from us.

I dropped Bell gently on her feet and pointed at the demon.

"Our job is to slay these demons and protect humans from them at the same time. But I guess you know that already." Bell nodded at my words in nervousness and readied herself to a battle.

"For now, why don't you try to slay him. I will help when needed." I patted her back to give Bell some support and she took a step forward.

"Oi, I can completely hear you! You think a small girl like her can kill me!? Just so you know I have killed some of you demon slayers!" as usual, the demon was arrogant and confident with his power.

Bell took the chance to attack the demon with a sideways slash and the demon easily dodged by jumping over the katana.

"Too slow!" he shouted and did a kick towards Bell's head. Probably trying to behead Bell's head with his superior strength but Bell dodged just before the leg hit her.

I heard her let out a breath that she had held during the small exchange. I looked at Bell and saw that her forehead was sweating bullets. Either from fear or anxiousness but I knew that this couldn't continue like this.

"Bell, take balanced deep breaths and try to calm down for now." I planted my hand on her shoulder and spoke close to her ear so she could hear my voice properly. Bell did as I told her to do and I smiled a little bit that she was still in control.

"As long as you remember your training with us Bell, you can do this." I tapped her back once more and Bell was back in action. I heard her take a deep breath and in a moment, Bell dashed towards the demon.

Bell's speed was fast enough to confuse the demon and before the demon realized it, his legs were cut off. Bell stood behind the demon and she followed up by stabbing the demon's back to keep him in place.

I felt proud of Bell's growth and made my way next to her to see her a little bit out of breath.

"Excellent job. But next time-" I took my own katana out and in a blink of an eye, the demon's head was cut off.