Chapter 4

Survive for seven days... Do we have to wait for morning to come seven times? Or do we have to the exact one hundred and sixty-eight-hour survival?

Ever since Kanae and I stepped in the mountains, we only walked around. We need to save as much energy as possible. At morning, we should be able to sleep. Wisteria trees should also be around here somewhere if we can't sleep in the morning.

I also realized Kanae has the haori she gave for Shinobu in the anime. I guess I was too happy to see her that I didn't notice it. I wonder if she noticed my own haori. Or she just is waiting for me to say something about her.

"Nee-chan." I tried to get her attention.

"Nani, Shin-chan?" she asked me.

"Where did you get that pretty haori?" I asked and pointed at her haori.

"You finally noticed it!" she puffed her cheeks.

"I waited for you to say something at my haori since the beginning." and now she pouted.

Yeah... That was insensitive of me. I patted her head and gave her an apologetic look.

"Sorry, Nee-chan. You look pretty in that haori. It fits your hairstyle and butterfly hair clips." I praised her. Kanae's mood brightened immediately and she giggled happily.

"You also look cool in that haori." she said as she pulled my sleeve. I thanked her and we continued to walk around the mountain.

Now... What should we do first... Should we search for Sabito and Giyu... or the hand demon first... We could help each other if we find Sabito and Giyu. The twin said it was survival but they didn't say anything about helping or assisting each other.

I felt Kanae tap my shoulder and when I turned my head to the side, I had my cheek hit her finger.

"Fufufu, I finally got your attention. You didn't hear me at all when I said your name." she said as she continued to poke my cheek. Was I that in deep thoughts? I guess this moment is too important that I forgot about my surroundings.

Speaking about the surroundings. I can feel three... no, five presences around us. Total Concentration mode is really useful. I don't have to worry about surprise attacks for a while.

"Nee-chan, later. We are surrounded." I told her and grabbed the hilt of my katana.

"That's what I was trying to tell you. I thought you didn't sense them at all since you continued to walk." she said while pouting. Oh? She was trying to tell me? Whoops.

And just like that, five demons jumped from their hiding spots and were above us. This is perfect. Might as well try the new move I tried to create. Or maybe not. I might hit Kanae and its side effects aren't good. I haven't perfected the new move at all.

I jumped towards the demons instead of dodging and it made them giggle like hyenas. I think I heard a gasp from Kanae. The demons are definitely underestimating me... not that I can blame them. Demons are physically stronger than normal civilians. Too bad I'm a hard-working civilian.

'Zen Shūchū, Kaminari no kokyū, Ni no kata: Inadama(Full Concentration, Breath of Thunder, Second Style: Lightning Ball).' with five quick slashes, one for each, the demons were cut in half by the torso and were burning inside. I looked at Kanae below me and shouted with a grin:

"Nee-chan, you can have the rest. Remember to aim at their neck."

Kanae seemed to snap out from staring at me and nodded. She drew out her katana and muttered:

"Hana no Kokyū, Go no kata: Ada no Shukuyaku(Breath of Flower, Fifth Form: Peony of Futility)." she did a graceful flurry of five consecutive attacks that flowed and weaved in on themselves. With each attack, she sliced the heads of demons off.