Chapter 29

"Nee-chan, can you rent a room for us? I will inform Oyakata-sama about the beast." I waited for Kanae to nod before walking outside to call my Kasugai Crow.

With the biggest possible whistle, I could make, my Kasugai Crow flew above me and landed on my head. I let out a small sigh and stared at my raised elbow before lowering it.

"I have a message for Oyakata-sama. So can you not be on my head?" I asked with a small annoyance and fortunately, the crow flew off from my head.

It took me a few seconds to record my message for Kagaya and after I was done, the crow flew away to who knows where.

I turned around to look at the inn in front of me and didn't want to step inside as I knew my destiny if I did that.

I don't want to hear them whine about my actions... No wait, let me correct that. I don't want them to scold me for my actions. But alas, the reality isn't that easy and I must face it.

Now, let's go to the battle!

=====

...

...

...

The silence and their stares hurt... But if I look away, I know I will lose this battle.

I sat in seiza position with Kanae and Sabito doing the same in front of me. Kanae had her eyes completely locked onto mine and Sabito switched his glanced between his katana and me.

Sabito's face frowned from time to time and I almost let out the same frown when I saw his face.

Seeing that Kanae or Sabito weren't going to speak at any time soon, I decided to speak first.

"If you want to say something to me, now is a good time." I spoke softly and neither of them made any physical reaction. It was another silence for a while and Kanae was the first one to speak.

"Shin-chan, you know how I feel about you endangering yourself, right?" Kanae asked me with a small hint of sadness and I nodded.

"Then why?" she continued and I took a deep breath before explaining.

"Because I would rather die than let someone dear to me get injured in front of me." I replied seriously and saw that my tone of voice made Kanae and Sabito flinch a little bit.

"I know that you two care about me but it won't stop me from saving you two if I can." I continued and saw Sabito clenching his hakama pants.

"But what if you die in the process of doing it?" Sabito asked this time and I moved my eyes from Kanae to Sabito.

"That is the reason why I train. So I won't die." I replied with a small smile.

"Besides, if I die, all of you will cry like babies." I continued with a grin and saw how Kanae and Sabito smiled a little bit at my comment.

Seeing that the mood wasn't anymore gloomy, I glanced outside the window and saw how the sun was starting to go down.

"We should prepare the futon." I stood up and walked to another room that Kanae and Sabito rented. They both stood up a the same time and I turned around to look at them.

They both were staring at each other and I swear I saw something spark again.

"Urokodaki-san, you can have this room for yourself. I will go with Shin-chan." Kanae said with a smile.

"No no, Kochou-san, you are the only girl here so you should have this room for yourself. I should go with Shin, since I am a boy." Sabito said back and I think I saw Kanae's smile fade away for a while.