◇Chapter 1◇

"What are you doing out here?" My mother's stern voice echoed through the big room. Alcina Dimitrescu was always the one to call me out when I was out of line. My sisters on the other hand supported my out going and wanted me to find the rebel inside that they never could. Except there was two things I could never do no matter what.

Number one, I was not allowed out of the castle in any circumstances. I was told my entire life that the monsters outside the castle walls would rip me to pieces.

Number two, do not ever come out of the hiding spot every Friday from 1 pm - 10 pm. I did not understand why this was made a rule. I had asked mother about it many times and she always had the same answer, 'you just can't'.

The second rule is what mother caught me doing today. I wanted to see what was happening, I knew it was dangerous but I had to see why I had to stay hidden every week at those exact times. It just didn't make any sense.

"I told you to never come out of the hiding spot during this time." Mother had anger in her eyes as she spoke.

"I-i just... well I wanted to know why," I opposed hoping I could finally learn why I was hidden away, "I am (Y/A) after all, I should know by now."

Mother looked down at her feet with a sigh, she must have been thinking. "Y/N, it is just how it is here. We live in a world where certain things are just to dangerous."

I looked up at her with an expression showing my saddened emotion. "Why would you never tell me?" I asked.

"Bela," mother called out into the big castle. "I will when you're older," She said in a calmer voice than before, "but for now you need to get out of here."

Bugs from an upper floor flew down and formed a human shape. A blonde appeared from inside the swarm and the bugs vanished into her skin. "Yes mother?"

"I need you to take Y/N back," lady Dimitrescu nudged in my direction, "please make it quickly dear.

"Of course mother." Bela replied and held a hand out to me. I took it into mine and let Bela guide me back down into the cellar.

"Its so creepy down here," I said looking at the blood wine held up on racks, "why must I stay down here?"

"It is a rule for your safety, trust me sister you do not want to know what is upstairs." Bela said as she let go of my hand and went back to the door.

Before she left she looked back at me for a moment, "dont worry, its almost time for you to come back out." Bela then went out of the room and shut the door behind her.

I was left alone in that damned room again. It was a small room with a table, chairs, and an old fashioned stereo. Those were just what was in the room, the walls were covered with shelves of wine. Mother never kept what was in the wine a secret. The blood red wine was not only the color, but also an ingredient.

Seeing the blood reminded me of how different I was compared to my mother and my sisters. My mother was of course very tall and hand sharp claws she could kill anyone with and my sisters had bugs that helped them teleport and eat someone alive. Me on the other hand, I had nothing. I was just a normal human with nothing to my name. I was never sure why, they eat people like me but for some reason I was left alone and brought in as a family member.

Sitting there thinking about all the things I was never told just made me more curious about what was happening outside that door. Just staring at it for so long every week made me wonder about every little thing that its hiding from me. I know I have to escape again, I can't just sit here and wait anymore. I have to know the truth, even if it kills me.

I went over to a cabinet on the floor under the wine and opened it up to see the hole i had dug through the wall. Years of work and hiding this hole allowed me to gain access to the rest of the castle without unlocking the door that my family thought kept me in here.

I got down on my hands and knees and started crawling through the small opening. On the other side was a small corridor that lead to a ladder. Up the ladder was a dressing room close to the main hall. It was dangerous to go through the main hall because that was where my sisters and my mother would see me but it was the only way to get out.

I crouched down and peaked around the corner of the doorframe. No one was there, that I saw anyway.

I slowly walked out and around the hallway to the grand staircase that lead to the lower floor. I quickly ducked down when I heard the sound of my mothers high heels walking closer. I peaked down to see she was checking over a few papers. I was unsure of what they were but I was curious about them.

I watched as mother left them on a table next to a fire place before leaving to another room. Scared that one of my sisters might find me I walked extra slow until I noticed an open door that was letting cold air in. My sisters never liked the cold, that gave me the opportunity to see what was written on those papers.

I went quickly down the stairs and started reading through them. The first page read:

-candidates-
Irina, Mihaela, Lois, Ingrid

-rejects-
Dandora, Gretta, Nadine, Camelia, Bianca, Melina, Astrid, Lyudmila, Roselinda, Lina, Stephana, Gabriella

I thought it was weird and wondered if it had some sort of correlation to the monsters that were kept in the dungeon.

The second note read:

Irina- Robust appetite

Miheala- Robust appetite

Lois- Robust appetite

Ingrid- Unstable. Overly alert at times.

Were these some sort of experiments? I wondered to myself.

The last note had lots of writing and it seemed to be about my sisters. Most of it was talking about the bugs that surround them and how the cold weakens them. At the very end of the note it said 'still no sign of the special one.'

I was unsure what the special one means giving that it was mother's handwriting so it couldn't be from her, it already spoke about my sisters, the monsters in the dungeon were not special, and I was just a powerless human.

The sound of my mothers echoing footsteps started to come back and I quickly sprinted up the stairs ready to get back into the hiding room. Before I left into the dressing room to get back I heard a new voice from the lower floor.

"Alcina dimitrescu, it is nice to see you once more." A female voice made its appearance.

"I have the data for all the people we have tested on Mother Miranda." I could hear my mother's voice reply. "I'm afraid the special one is still no where to be found."

"The special one is gone. It has been 18 years, I am sure she is dead."

"Yes Mother Miranda, she must be."

"We might not need her though, I think I found something. Something better." The voice had an evil undertone, "there will be a meeting soon with all the lords at the church. I wish for you to be there."

"Yes Mother Miranda. I'll be there." Lady Dimitrescus voice was the last before the castle doors shut, giving me the cue to get out of there and back into hiding.

Who is Mother Miranda? And who is the special one?

~○~

A/N
Hi there
I really hope you're enjoying this story, I was thinking about its plot soooo much while playing through village.
So, what do you think?