||26||

" I had to settle an urgent matter," I finally explain.
"You," she points her index finger at me, " I'm tired of the nonsense that you're doing; trying to embarrass me infront of visitors. What is your problem, huh? Go and sit with James," she says angrily and follows behind me.

Like I had said earlier, I want to listen and leave. I don't plan to start arguments of any kind so I'll just- not say anything, especially to this woman.

I find James on his phone, lifting his head once we're in view. His eyes follow me until I am seated next to him and my mother throws a small smile before heading back to the kitchen.

"So you told her on me?" I face him.
"No," he chuckles,"she walked past here to check on the men outside and when she found me by myself she did what she did," he explains nonchalantly.
"Pathetic," I grunt.
"You done talking to your man?"
"What is it to you?" I give an intimidating stare.
"Well for starters you're with someone you're not supposed to be with. You go take a call knowing the time for talking to him is inappropriate-"
"And you? Don't you have anyone to bother other than me? Isn't there someone out there that you can hit on to start something with?" I take one leg and cross it over the other, my arms now folded.
"You really think I have time for that?" He smirks.
"James look at you!" my arms extend to him for emphasis, "You're this buff dude walking around asserting dominance and nobody is throwing themselves at you? Something must be wrong,"
"None of the women that 'throw themselves at me' are my type," he air quotes.
"You lie," I laugh hysterically.
He cannot be serious. That or women get put off by his manners otherwise I refuse to believe- this is all too funny to process.

"We all know who is though," his voice is low, leaning In towards me.

I move away slightly from the proximity he's created between us, a scowl plastered on my face instantly.

"You have a problem, James,"
"Look," he moves away, " You're always uptight about having someone around you. I'll admit I can be an ass, but then you also have a bunch of shit on you and yet I'm still trying to reach out. You think I moved to your area to keep an eye on you? Absolutely not, it was sheer coincidence that Jond wanted me as part of their firm. You always think everyone is after you- the truth is you form your judgement and then make irrational decisions that have people think of you the way they do. Otherwise you wouldn't have moved so far from your family and got into that relationship-"

"Food is ready," Mrs Kagan walks past us to the men outside.

We all sit at the dining table, James obviously sitting next to me. After a short prayer we begin to dish and eat. The conversations were the same; a new company that the Kagans ventured into and would require the Yanés input. I just knew all along that there was business going on and right about now it's even more uncomfortable from the realization that they're having this conversation over lunch!
My mother is in the forefront with her business ideas, nudging my dad whenever the Kagans mentioned the potential revenues.
Sure, this sounds nice that they're talking about something profitable, but they'd have to have this conversation in a more appropriate setting- not over food in the presence of their children.

"James is a very good businessman as much as he is a lawyer," Mr Kagan praises.
"And with Imani to help it will work even better. Management is key," my mother adds.

And I know she's only saying so because it's James.
I side glance at him and notice he did the same. He's very lucky I never had the chance to respond to his talk earlier, what he said was somewhat true until he mentioned my relationship.

Yeah sure, I make judgements and all that but it's only because it's clear as day that the people I'm surrounded by have a certain backward mentality that I simply can't stand to follow.

"Pass the salt, Ima," my mother requests, and I hand it to her. She eyes me for a brief moment and returns to the conversation all smiles.

It is 2100hrs and the Kagans are still here. The elders are in the living room, Gareth is somewhere in the house with James and Gabe while Noni and I clean up the kitchen.

"I am exhausted," she exhales heavily.
"Same here," I state.

Just then James walks in with Gabe. The little boy giggles until Noni walks over to take him.

"I should give him a bath before bed," she smiles and exits, leaving James and I in the kitchen.

"You need help?" He approaches me by the island.
"I'm alright," I say truthfully.

We stand opposite each other in silence. I notice him scratching his sideburn and then the nape of his neck. Our eyes meet and stay there.

I squint, to which he smirks, leaning towards me.

"You good?"
"Trick question?"
"About earlier-" he clears his throat and I interject.
"Before or during lunch?"
"Before. If I bashed at you it was just me trying to get my message across,"
"And...?"
"It was just my take on the behavior you've been displaying," his shoulders fall with ease.
"No apology?" I raise a brow.
"I apologize for how I had presented my case,"
I nod at his response, typical of him.
"I'm not sorry for what I said though. That was my truth,"

**
My eyes open slowly, registering my surroundings. I rise from my bed, stretch a little and proceed to the drapes, pushing them to each side and opening the windows.
The air is crisp, the breeze filling the room as I begin to tidy up the place.

I hear some chatters once I'm out of the room- all freshened up. The dining area is occupied by my father and a few other elderly men having tea. My mother walks in with a tray in hand, serving scones on it for breakfast.

"Ah, Imani," my father beams, "You're up." I smile and greet all of them, walking to the kitchen to find my mother and a familiar face by the island.

"Ima," she gives a mocking smile at me.
"Aunty Sama," I approach her and greet.
"You've grown,hm? Feels like yesterday I was changing your diapers and now you're this big woman," I give a tight lipped smile at the corny statement and walk to the fridge.

"You know Kezi is almost done with school?" She stands from the tall chair, joining my mother by the sink, "Chartered Accountant in the making ."
"Is she not seeing that Buru guy?"my mother asks.
"Eya, him. He's already working in pharmacy,"
"They should get married soon,hm? It's been long since I've been to a wedding," my mother sighs.

"Ima," Aunty Sama turns to me.

Shit.

"We're really looking forward to a wedding, when is yours?" she gives the same belittling look she gave earlier.
"When God allows," is all I say.
"The Kagan's pockets are itching," she purses her lips and pats my mother's shoulder.
"Who said I wanted the-"

My mother cuts me off with a cheer and pulls Aunty Sama to where my father and the other men are seated.

My hands rest on the kitchen island,curling to a fist at what I just heard. So now they really want me to marry James?
Tuh...over.my.fucking.dead.body.
-
...phone ringing...
"Hey,"
"Are you flexible enough to travel?"
"Ouff-Imani,that's quite abrupt,"
"Tight schedule?"
"Well...not really,"
"I need you to make arrangements, you need to come here,"
"You sure? Is everything ok there?"
"You just tell me when you've purchased the ticket. I love you,"
____________
It's been long since I've updated and I've had a serious writer's block but it's slowly coming together.

I'll try posting longer chapters and hope you enjoy.
Thank You for voting♥️