||2||

I march out of the elevator in Khale Enterprises and into my office.

"Good morning, Ms Yané," my PA, Wendy, greets me in her squeaky voice.
"Get me my diary and some coffee," I sit in my chair and grab the fax that just got in a second ago.

"Oh, I wanted to tell you about that letter," she looks uneasy as the words slipped out.
"When are they planning to accept this offer for goodness sake!" my hand fists, crumbling the area which I held the dammed piece of paper.

"They'll come around?" she gulps.
"Wendy, darling," I stand from the seat and she trembles as I got closer, "how many times have we sent this offer to their desk after the pitch?"
"Well..." her eyes are lowered.

"This is the third time, and you say they'll come around?" I scoff and place the scrunched up paper on my desk, picking my diary next, "We'll get better contractors," I page through the book and stop at the current date.

"Start calling these other numbers-"

"Good morning, and compliments of the new year!" A male voice booms through the room.
"Haha... Mr Van Buren, what a surprise," a forced smile is plastered on my face as I walk back to my desk.
"Oh there's more to come," he winks and turns to Wendy, who walks away five steps at a time.

"I'm fine without surprises, Mr Van Buren,"
"Please call me-"
"Pete, I'm fine without surprises, Pete," I blink twice at him and a sly smirk plays on his lips.

"Well, only for my favourite co-worker," he adjusts his tie, runs a hand over his shiny blonde hair before leaving.

"Oh and by the way, I love the hairdo. It's fresh," he says exiting my office.

***

"Gosh he makes my blood boil," I growl.
"Relax Imani, the man is just being nice. Like when will you take a damn compliment?" Hannah, one of my bestfriends laughs as she cuts her steak.

"Funny now," I mumble to myself.

"Hannah is right," Kenya, my other bestfriend adds, " plus you've got to chill with this tension you have towards men," she shudders at the thought.

"His actions are like all the other white guys out here; always wanting to show how good they are and dominant and think a woman can't say no," I chew on my steak. "Plus, Pete's a snob,"

"He's not," Kenya rolls her eyes.
"Says the lady with the big rock on her finger," I side eye her.
"Well, I won't lie but yes, that's true," we all squeal at her waving her perfectly manicured left hand at us.

The excitement is real, how we're all eagerly waiting for Kenya's wedding day in all its glory. Her fiancée is from the same tribe as she is, even though they both met abroad.

My mother's grin is at the back of my mind if she were to hear of Kenya's wedding. Better not give details on this one, or my head will be off from all of her lectures about marrying within a clan.

"Can I just be a hoe?" I whimper.
"Imani? A hoe?" Hannah laughs.
"We know she can't because she is anti- men," they both laugh.
"Oh come on! Take that back ,It's not like that," I slouch into my chair.
"Fine, you're anti-men," Hannah says it again and they crack into laughter again.

"Am not. I just have preferences," my chin is in the air.
"And a list," Kenya snorts.
"None of you are helping!" My hand hits the table lightly and now I look like a child throwing a tantrum.

"Now now," Hannah scoots closer with her chair and Kenya does the same. "See, I'm the connection plug and Kenya over here is just going to be the informant to make sure he's 'legal'," she air quotes, and I glance back and forth between the two of them.

Yaay, I'm getting a blind date! I'm so excited... NOT!

"Girls, I've got alot on my plate right now," I sigh heavily. " Having to go through a relationship ordeal is out of the question,"
"It's not an ordeal, you just caging yourself, Imani," Kenya gives a one-sided cheeky look, her eyes squint at me.

"I'll get a man at the right time, for now I'll just be here and do me," I felt confident at the words, even though I've been doing me all my life.

"Well, let's all go to Kenya's and see her bridesmaids dresses to cheer you up, come on," Hannah pulls me by the hand and we're all giggles.

***

"Hey, baby," Kenya is all smitten with her husband to be, almost makes me wish I'd get married too.

Actually,no. The last thing I want right now is getting a band round my finger and being in captivity to a man that I don't even know if I'll love.

"We're going upstairs to checkout the dresses," I follow her up the staircase and into her room.

From the look of the dresses, the theme is white and African patterns which are currently placed on mannequins, the fabric going right below the knees with a narrow waist that holds a belt with African prints.

"So this is the Kente fabric you were talking about all the time," Hannah praises.
"Yes! So girls, what do you think?" Kenya grins at us ear to ear.

"The weather better not flex on us," I raise my brows at them both.
"It won't, so stop being a pessimist," Hannah shoves my arm.
"Well It's my way of saying these dresses are really good,"

"I am honestly nervous about the wedding," Kenya says with worry.
"You shouldn't, honestly. I'm sorry if my comment made you think otherwise," I pat her shoulder.
"No it's not that," she giggles, her eyes glittering and her arms wrap around my waist. " I just- I have no experience whatsoever with this and what if the day after I realise It wasn't worth it?" she nuzzles into my chest.

I look at Hannah, and she walks closer, a lopsided smile on her face.

"Kenya, you'll be an amazing bride, and a great wife to Adrian,"I pat her gently on the back," I know you're a bit overwhelmed but it will be worth it, that I know," Hannah pulls us into her embrace and gives Kenya a kiss on the forehead.

"She's right, you and Adrian aren't perfect, but that doesn't mean what the two of you have isn't real. Let's be happy about this wedding,ok?" We all go in for one last hug before enjoying the rest of the evening.

"Who's thirsty? Drinks on Kenya of course," I wink at her before exiting the room for wine and some glasses.

I walk downstairs when I hear shuffling in the kitchen. Approaching the door with caution, my heart pounding louder than a drum, I make a quick scan ahead if there was anything worth using as a weapon incase whatever is in the kitchen might pounce on me.

Playing safe, I know.

"What the f-!"
"I apologise," I freeze at the man by the sink as he stood from his crouched position with a toolbox on the side.

"I'm sorry if I startled you, miss," he has a rich British accent, how rare.
"You didn't actually, I was just checking who was here," I squint, walking backwards to the door til I'm out of sight and rush out heading back upstairs.

"Imani you look like you have seen a ghost!" Kenya laughs.

Sure,a hot ghost.
___________________________________
Hey🌞
Be sure to comment and vote I'd appreciate it a ton!✨