||14||

Our meal arrives in a fancy paperbag and Christian takes it from the counter, patting my shoulder as we approach the car.

"What the hell, Christian," I deadpan.
"Take the keys out,if you want to ease off then let's go," he beckons and hey, it's not like I have alot of choices here.

Christian directs me as I drive until we're in the suburbs of town.

"What is this place, the rich and famous neighborhood?!"I gasp.
"No, why?" A laugh escapes his mouth.
"Because these houses look fancy, that's all,"

I am impressed by just looking at the palm trees that are lined up by the sides of the road, the clean pavements and gated flats.

"Park here," he instructs and I pull over by a grey brick wall.

"We might be out soon, so there's no need to park inside. Come on," he leads me out the car and into the yard.

The lawn is trimmed with flowers lined up by the walls of the yard. I follow him on the brick path leading to the dark oak door of the white bungalow.

"Let me guess, this is your house?" I state the obvious as he ushers me in.
"In a few months, but yes," he places the paperbag on the kitchen counter while I still admire the interior of his house.

The theme in his living room is much similar to mine, in terms of the creepers and small potted plants plus the window sills having trays of flowers. On the other hand, it looks like a fusion of modern and 80s vintage with the dark wood framed chairs and grey pillows thrown on them.

"Your house is very interesting," I remark, walking into the kitchen which has a similar design as the living room.
"Thank you. The decor in your house kinda inspired this as well,"

"Really?" I gape, taking a seat opposite him on a tall chair.
"Honest,"
"Well, let's eat now because I'm starving!" I groan.

He grabs a plate filled with grilled quarter chicken pieces and wedged potatoes drizzled with hot sauce.

"Why does your plate have more than mine?" My forehead wrinkles at the proportions .
"Oh, please. Let's just say Grace now, shall we?" He gives me his hands and I oblige holding them so we pray.

"Would you like to...?" he asks.
"Me? Oh, no, you can go ahead," I laugh nervously.

We bow our heads and Christian says a short prayer before we dig in.

"So where to now?" He asks, having one last bite of his chicken.
"We just need to go over the places we've visited and give Kenya a call, that's pretty much it," I explain.

"Ok, let me get the car inside. I figured we'd spend a short while but I guess not. Maybe you can ask her what she's done so far," he walks out as I grab my phone.

A message flashes on my screen and the name next to the icon says just about everything.

New Message
Mama:call me. It is very urgent. [1340]

I know James is a good man to my parents, the son they never had, but honestly this is too much. He should be glad I don't have the right equipment to make him sterile, that'd teach him not to cross the line with giving off news to my parents before I do!

"Ima,"
"Hello mama," I sigh, waiting for the whiplash.
"I have just received news on this women's conference at church and I need money for a tailor-made dress, it's next month,"

Okay, no whiplash?

"Um...and Noni?"I ask,referring to my elder sister.
"Noni is a married woman and mother, I can't be disturbing her over a dress," she snaps.
"Right, I'll send later in the evening,"I sigh.
"Oh thank you, Ima!" She says happily. Typical, very typical of my African mother.