||16||

Kenya and I head out to the venue we found best for Hannah's birthday party, and it wasn't some hotel rooftop after all.

"So this is it? The Dezz-eye-" she tries to pronounce the word on the paper.
"The Dezzi," I correct her.
"Isn't this a little too boujee?" She walks nervously round the silver tables and turns back to me.

"Well, Christian thought it'd be better if we pick a place that wouldn't attract complaints from people about noise. This place is perfect for parties, get togethers and all that, I mean look at it! The lawn there, a gazebo, we'll have a barbecue stand and lights hanging from the ceiling here and it won't be that much," I explain.

"Good thing I bought the lights on time,"

Hannah's birthday is in two days, luckily it will be a Saturday. We have only an hour before we get back to work from lunch, and we start on the lights and decorations with the help of the staff.

"We'll let you know once all the lights are in place," one of the members of staff assures us.
"Thank you so much," we shake her hand, walking out the building.

"Problem solved so far, now we just need cake," we laugh our way to the parking lot.

-

The day finally arrives and Hannah is excited as ever, receiving birthday wishes left, right and centre. While she's at it, Kenya's out organizing the food while Christian and I do some final touches at The Dezzi for her party in the evening.

"I guess this is it!" I cheer, jumping excitedly.
"Well, it's now midday so we can find something to eat?"he suggests.
"Yeah let me just grab my bag," he walks out the door and I find my phone flashing.

"Hello?"
"Wow, Imani. If I had known you were this brave..."
"What do you mean?"I scowl.
"You're dating a-"
"Noni,please. Let's not act like you've never wanted to do the same," I retort.
"Oh, Imani. I'm not here to fight you but then what if mum and dad find out?"
"Who told you?" I ask, expecting the obvious.

"James,"

As expected.

"Wow," I laugh, fuming on the inside.
"It was only a friendly conversation and then he mentioned you in passing. Look, the bottom line is I'm concerned about our parents finding out, you know how they are,"
"You know what, I have to go. It's a wonderful Saturday and you calling me to rub the news in my face is just a spoiler, goodbye," I end the call and walk to the restaurant section of The Dezzi to look for Christian.

I find him sitting in a booth, the waitress  talking to him in a flirtatious manner.

"It's fine, really," I hear Christian say as I approach them, the waitress now leaning on the table with one hand.

"Hello," I stand behind the red haired girl when she jumps a little.

"Oh, apologies I didn't know he was with yo-"
"Well, now you know. Please excuse us," I smile and watch her run off.

"That was awkward," he smiles.
"Well you two certainly can put on a show," I mumbled.
"She was just being polite, Imani,"
"Polite? So what, she also asked for your number politely?" I watch him try to speak but I cut him off," she asked if she can call you sometime and you were 'fine, really', is that it?" I air quote what I heard with a scowl.

"You're overreacting, Imani," he reaches for my hand but I stand from my seat.
"Well I'm glad you agree to that too. I overreact over alot of things, you don't need to remind me about it again," I whisper angrily, standing to leave.