||41||

Christian

"Are you awake?"
"I'm here, it's okay," I reassure her before she rests her head on my chest.

We've been awake for close to three hours, just sitting in the living room.

I don't know how to process yet alone explain the events that occurred last night. Hell, I'm even shocked we're both still up.

Where do I even begin?
One minute I was taking Imani's father home and the next my name is mentioned amidst an argument between Imani's parents and James with who I'm assuming to be his parents.

Turns out, Imani's father was living with her while her mother returned to their home village and for some unknown reason James had brought her over to talk her husband and Imani, to 'establish peace'.

It's probably not making any sense because I'm still trying to digest everything.

All I know is, Imani wasn't having any of it. She lashed out at James in the presence of both their parents because he kept bothering her and walked out on them and yeah... here we are at my house.

Her mother has been calling her phone since we got here and I'm not surprised. I've noticed the relationship Imani and her mother have isn't the best so I'd expect her to react this way since Imani's response to the situation last night was not what anyone expected.

"Christian," her voice breaks and I move slightly so as to see her face, "I'm honestly tired. I'm tired of things constantly blocking my happiness."

I trace my thumb over her cheek, wiping the stray tear that rolls down her face. It hurts to see her like this, if anything I'm willing to stay beside her and be her peace despite what's been going on between us recently.

"It's going to be okay. You were just in the heat of the moment. Take time to process and redirect your thoughts," I coo as she reaches for her phone.
"I need to make sure my dad's is okay at the house," she sniffs a few times, "Hello? Are you alone?"

She sighs with relief and breaks away from our sitting position, walking to the other end of the room.

"Yeah... yes dad. I understand..." she dries her eyes with the back of her hand, talking some more and ends the call.

"And?"
"He's alone at the house, thank God. They decided to leave shortly after my fiasco,"  she rolls her eyes.
"Like I said; heat of the moment,"
"I should head home since he's all by himself," she sighs, sitting back on the couch next to me.
"It's 2 in the morning," I point out.
"Oh," she looks down at her phone, "I can't believe all this happened on the day of Kenya's wedding." she plays with the fabric of her dress and it clicks that I'm still in my suit from the wedding.

"We had a good time. Let's just appreciate the good from yesterday," I wink at her, to which she smiles.
"Why do you always say the right things?" she questions.
"Not always, but I try," my eyes lower to her hand and I take it in mine, bringing it to my lips.
"I missed you," she says quietly, almost a whisper.
"I missed you," I admit.

Yes, majority of the time I was with family and healing from the loss of my father, which I'm making steady progress by the way. Other days I did miss Imani; her witty character and comforting soul- all of it.
Being with her in this moment makes me acknowledge how much I missed her.

She moves closer and wraps her hands round my neck and my hands find their way round her waist, embracing her.

For the rest of the early morning we decide to get more comfortable. I know it's Monday and we have lives to live after 8am, but I want to enjoy this time since neither of us are sleepy.