||28||

I tip toe into the house, shutting the door behind me slowly. This feels like my teenage years; going out with my friends and returning in the evening to an angry mother because well- it'd be past curfew.
I honestly couldn't help it, I live dangerously like Christian said.

My father is in the living room, watching the news over a cup of coffee.

"Hey," I sit adjacent to the couch he's seated in.
"Oh, hello. You're back from your journeying. Your mother has been looking for you. We'll be having the Kagans over. At this point they might as well live here," he chuckles to himself.

I sure hope not.

"Day in, day out we get visitors left and right," his lips bend in a frown, bringing the cup to his lips.
"That's on you and your wife," I murmur, to which he turns to me and all I do is shrug.

"Is Ima home?" I hear my mother from the kitchen.
"I am," I pat my dad on the shoulder and leave,joining her in the kitchen. Noni is also there, helping out with preparing supper.
"Eh eh, is that jersey not too big?" she looks at the hoodie with a hint of disgust.
"It's not to me," I put my hands in the pockets of Christian's black hoodie.
"And since when do you wear Leeds merch,hm?" Noni looks at me mischievously.

I mouth a 'shut up' at her before turning to my mother.

"James is coming, I don't want you going to your room as if he doesn't exist, Ima. That nonsense should stop," she huffs, taking the bowl of diced bell peppers to the saucepan on the stove.

"Explain why all this is happening,mama. Why am I here? Why are the Kagans frequently visiting,hm?"

This is getting suspicious but all too obvious at the same time. I bet there isn't even a meeting to discuss anything at this juncture.

"They're family friends ,you know that ," she responds uninterested, stirring the contents in the pan like what I just asked carries no weight.
"And so does that mean they have to visit all the time? What, you want them to live here?"
"Ima," Noni gives a warning glare.
"Mama?" I call at her to answer.

"They have important business for us and you're jeopardizing it with your behavior!" she says with rage, walking away from the sizzling sounds on the hot plate.
"I beg your pardon," I am taken aback- my behavior is jeopardizing their business?

"I've been constantly pushing you to do something that you can easily do without me having to ask. James getting to know the town you live in, going out with him- simple texting, I have to beg you to make effort!" she yells.
"What for? He can do that without me he's not a child," I state the obvious.
"You're not going to embarrass me, Imani. You're not going to embarrass me. I refuse to be embarrassed by you in front of the Kagan family," she growls.

"This is useless," I give a lifeless chuckle, my hands falling at my sides. It's pretty clear at this point that my mother will not admit to forcing things with James and I. This whole charade is useless-pointless at that.

As for this 'business' of theirs-

"They're here," Noni's eyes are on her phone before laughter is heard from the living room.
"Go change out of that hideous thing you have on," my mother demands.

**
"Dad," I walk into the living room the following morning, "are you always by yourself here?"
"You could always keep me company, you know," he smiles up at me.
"Did mum just leave?"
"Yes, ladies at church again,"
"Every two days? What is happening there?"
"Charity maybe?" There is a short pause.

"I need to ask you something," I sit down.
"Yes?" He turns to me.
"I'd like to have a friend over for dinner,"
"Ok?" He looks confused.
"Dad, you and mum always talk about wanting to be happy and wanting me to be happy and I too want to be happy," I suck in a breath, "And if this doesn't convince you enough then I don't know," I sigh.