||45||

4 months later
Christian

I feel arms wrap round my bare torso as I stand in the backyard under the night sky.

"You're awake," I mention without turning around.
"You weren't in bed," she says softly.
"I couldn't sleep," I answer truthfully.

Today marks thirteen years without my father. I've spoken to Imani about it in depth about two months ago since we had to talk about my visit back home. I felt quite relieved that she took it all in; what my loss has done to me and how I'm coping with it in the season I- and we're, in.

Our relationship has been the craziest, who would've thought a broken pipe in Adrian's home would cause me to meet someone like Imani. Or how our random encounters, my head injury or a building project would cause us to be acquainted. And not to mention her attitude and character, sounds crazy but the fact that we were and still are two completely different people fascinated me. I needed to know the lady behind all she masked herself with, she really does have a good heart.

And neither of us are perfect, our misunderstandings have taught me valuable lessons. All this has happened in just a span of months by the way, something that I believe neither of us expected.

"Things are going to be okay," she mutters, "I can only imagine what today must mean to you but, all things work together for good, my baby."

"I understand," I respond in my raspy morning voice, lacing my fingers with hers.

Since Imani's family matters have cooled down a bit she has taken the liberty of joining me on my trip to visit my father's resting place. It's something the family does on his birthday to celebrate his life and I've never brought someone with me, Imani will be the first.

Hours go by and we get ready to meet my family.

I walk in on her putting studs on by the dresser. She looks magnificent and her scent is luring, clad in a white turtleneck with fitting denims paired with boots and her thick hair tied in a low bun. This is her signature hairstyle these days.

"You look beautiful, Imani," I stand behind her.
"Thank you," her smile is quickly replaced with a scowl, "You're not dressed?"
"I have my pants on?" I chuckle when she elbows my stomach, "Ow!"
"We have 20 minutes," she points at me through the mirror.
"There's still tim- ow!" She elbows again.

"You know, it'll be more minutes here if you keep up with that," I smirk.

***
"The big man is here!" Luke roars through the corridors when we arrive.
"Good day, Luke," I give a warning glare but he ignores it.
"I see you've brought the long awaited guest. Nice to meet you, Imani," he extends his hand to greet Imani and she obliges with a smile.
"Likewise, Luke. We did not come empty handed,"
"Ah, wine. I see you enjoy the finer things in life," Luke winks at her.
"Luke," I shake my head so he ends his mannerisms.
"Did he introduce you to this lifestyle?" he smirks and glances between us.
"I've always loved wine," she explains.
"I've made a mental note of that, for the day you're joined in holy matrimony-"
"Why would we need wine for..."
"Alright, we're going to head elsewhere," I end the conversation despite the fact that yes, I do see myself marrying Imani.

I enter the living room, Imani's hand in mine and introduce her to my sisters and their partners as well as a few close relatives of my father.

"Where's mum?" I ask Lydia, my elder sister.
"In her room. She'll be down in a bit, she's with aunt Carol," I nod in understanding.

"Luke is one character. He's watching us like a hawk," Imani whispers. I look over my shoulder and notice him by the dining table eyeing us rather mischievously.
"You don't need to whisper, baby," I chuckle lightly.
"I'm not whispering," she denies.
"Well, he's just bored,"