05

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines"

~~~

"Please just reconsider! I swear I won't let anything like that happen again!" I beg.

"Lexi my decision is final, the organisation can't just keep handing you partners." Angelo speaks calmly while staring down at the paperwork on his desk.

"Then don't give me a partner, I'm sure I'll be fine on my own." I try to persuade, knowing Angelo isn't changing his mind anytime soon, but what's the harm in trying?

"I'm sure you'll be fine too, but that's not how things work. Plus, it's not like we are prohibiting you from doing anything, you get to train the kids." He states, trying to sound excited for my sake.

"I'd prefer to lay in bed all day until I have a partner." I mumble under my breath not intending to be heard.

"I heard that." Angelo snaps with a sly smirk on his face. "I'd prefer to lay in bed instead of doing this paperwork but the superiors are up my ass about it, and now you're bugging me, so go look after some kids." He finishes, shooing me off.

"But—"

"The new recruits are coming in today, I trust you to make them feel welcomed." He cuts me off, holding his index finger in the air to silence me.

"Can't I just be paired with one of them?" I keep pushing, I might regret it but I have to try.

"Not immediately... A.M.B.E.R is testing the newbies and putting them into categories based on their abilities, so you should be counting your blessings that you'll finally be paired with someone in your skill level." The sass in his tone is extremely evident which makes me back down a little.

"Looking forward to it." I huff, giving him a fake smile as I turn around and exit his office.

"Always nice talking to you Lexi!" He calls out from his office while the door closes behind me.

Angelo - also known as the man who wants to make my life hell, is the so called 'deputy' of this headquarters here in Italy. He is the boss of this precinct. He makes most of the decisions, under the authorisation of the superiors obviously.

I couldn't imagine being in such a high position, especially with the superiors watching your every move and decision - they are some scary ladies that you do not want to cross. Luckily I've never encountered them and I'd like to keep it that way.

Anyway... so, Angelo has assigned me to babysitting duty while I'm technically still suspended. I know overall it's not his decision, it's the superiors, but seriously? I would have taken a paperwork job over babysitting any day.

It's not that I hate children, I just dislike them sometimes, but I guess they aren't the worst.

I'd be alright if I was just training them to become spies but I have to hang around them all day. Morning tea time, lunch time, snack time, free time, nap time, everything they do during the day I have to be there for.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is seeing Josh. He's the only child I've ever spoken to here and he is the most adorable 8 year old I've ever seen.

He's got scruffy blonde hair, dark blue eyes and naturally rosy cheeks. He's pretty lanky and tall for his age which definitely makes him stand out amongst the rest of the children.

He came in about six months ago, he was living on the streets when I found him and his 6 year old sister, Brandy. They are both strong kids for what they've been through, and they are quite protective over each other.