22

"I don't believe it if I don't keep proof
I don't believe it if I don't know you
I don't believe it if it's on the news or on the internet
I need a cigarette"

~~~

Another unsuccessful day of trying to find Kayden and Quinton.

After yesterday's fail at catching them in the bar, this morning we decided to try a different approach. Harry and I headed back down to headquarters to speak with Mary.

We're running out of time with this Wilson case, therefore we resorted to questioning. At first, we weren't planning to hurt Mary - well I wasn't, I can't speak on behalf of Harry, but it turned a little messy when she didn't cooperate.

When we first arrived at HQ to question her, Harry and I had all the confidence in the world, thinking after the incident the other day she'd willingly give us any other information needed - we were severely mistaken.

She kept her mouth closed, apart from when she was guilt tripping us. After some persuasion, which may or may not have involved a gun, Mary gave us a muffled location of where she lives. San Polo.

This was enough information to make Harry pull the gun out of her mouth - I tried to think of it as karma, and considering I was in my darker headspace I wasn't too fazed.

Oh, I also got my throwing knife back, you know the one that was deep within Mary's leg. One of the medics gave it to me, all cleaned and looking brand new.

That leads us to now. We just left the interrogation room, and I guess we're heading back to the house. Although, there is one thing I want to do before we leave.

I turn down a hallway that doesn't lead towards the garage, but towards the children's area. I feel excitement taking over my senses, getting ready to be bombarded with hugs from Josh and Brandy.

I haven't seen them in at least a week, and I never realised how much I'd miss them. They're comforting, and they remind me of myself when I was younger - full of hope.

Ever since I found these kids on the street, I made some sort of pact with myself, that I'd treat them like family. I want them to grow up and feel loved as well as cared for.

Of course, I recognise the other kids in this facility, and I know they need care too, which they have a lot of from the agents at this headquarters.

The thing is with Josh and Brandy, they don't talk to adults apart from me, and occasionally Zayn. They block themselves off and stay quiet, until they feel comfortable, I've seen other spies try to get them involved in activities or conversations, but they refuse.

So, yes, I do have favourites, but for a good reason. It's clear that Josh and Brandy don't trust anyone, apart from me, and I'm not taking that for granted one bit.

"Where are you going?" Harry huffs impatiently from behind me.

"I need to do something." I reply, looking over my shoulder to see him hesitantly following me.

"Fucks sake." He mumbles under his breath, dragging his shoes along the ground.

I really don't think he'd be following me if he knew where we are going. Last time he helped with the tooth fairy thing he seemed pretty uncomfortable.

I push through metal doors into another hallway, the hallway having walls of glass looking into the massive room filled with sleeping kids.

It must be their nap time, as they're all lying on individual mats wrapped in personalised blankets.