Chapter 1

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

BETILLA

He was staring right back at me. The colourful orbs of his eyes from the distance looked so vivid and serene. I hadn't seen them in a while. The world around us freezes as we hold gazes. The air was filled with tension and became difficult to breathe.  He seemed unmoving and then his accented voice filled the air. "You're staring at me." He pointed out, tilting his head at me like a cat studying a ball of yarn. "I..." I trailed not knowing what to say exactly.

Wait, backtrack a whole bunch!

I moped around for the first few weeks after he left school. The sun's light felt like tiny daggers on my skin so that complimented my dressing which consisted of sweatpants and huge hoodies, ensuring my body was covered and unexposed to the wrath of the sun. I had a wild imagination. I drowned in depression to the extent that all my teachers sent emails to my parents about the recent change in my behaviour and they added, "She wasn't like this when her brother died." That just pushed the final nail on the cross. 

I started to come out of my shell and re-enact my former self as I glanced back at the words of my brother. He was the first male I ever loved dearly and he was dead but he had a wish and that, I wanted to fulfil. Benedict said to go on with life without him. That was his dying wish. He wouldn't have wanted me to be moping around because some random dude with really intriguing eyes broke my heart indirectly. Such a sad love story. Mae stayed by my side through the entire rehabilitation process and she was one of the people who helped me get back on my feet. Alongside my parents, who were a shocking factor. 

***

It was a Friday, I was in senior year. The last year in High School and I would be off to College. I couldn't wait and I was so excited to see what life had in place for me. Coincidentally, it was officially 5 months, 3 weeks and 3 days that Archer left me. Yes, I counted. School was over and I walked to my car with Mae by my side when we got called back. We walked to the homeroom to see two familiar faces alongside the principal. She clapped her hands when she saw us. She was quite the playful type. "Mae, Betilla, Kayden, Anne." She said pointing to us as she called our names. "Great! You're all complete." I shared a look with Mae, talking to her telepathically.

What the butt is going on??- My facial expression read.

The principal seemed to notice our little exchange. She quickly added, "You're not in trouble." That reduced the level of apprehension in my belly. "I called all four of you because this school is taking part in a student exchange program with another school with senior year students. And you all have been picked. Also there's a competitioncoming up there too." It was so silent, I could hear a pin drop. The principal's level of enthusiasm had clearly reduced when she was met by our silence. I broke it. "What school are we exchanging with?" She checked her phone and when she said the name of the school and location, I felt an overwhelming desire to be dead. 

I hoped secretly that my parents wouldn't allow me to go. They were more than happy to sign my release form. My mother was surprisingly ecstatic to the point that she told me all about her adventures in the U.K. and the people there. Yeah, you read right. I was going to the U.K, now you know why I didn't want to go. I didn't want to risk crossing paths with him seeing as I was going to be an exchange student in his school, in his grade. How thoughtful of fate to do so...

We were supposed to arrive in the U.K the following week and if my maths is right, it would be approximately 6moths since I last set my eyes on Archer. A tiny part of me that I had suppressed started to break free and I didn't want that I couldn't go back to that vulnerable state so I manned up and stood my ground. As planned, the four of us arrived in the U.K. As my Nike Air Force 1's touched the cold concrete of the floor, I felt an instant feeling of dread. I was not comfortable, at all. I looked at my peers including Mae who seemed excited to be there. I wore a fake smile and joined in the excitement.