Chapter 21 - TWO PARTS

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

~PART ONE~

BETILLA

I stayed against my kitchen counter and placed my head against the cold surface. I sighed when I heard his footsteps on the stairs and I looked up at him. Archer looked back at me with an unreadable expression. I couldn't tell what was racing through his mind. "Betty," He started. I turned my head and put it back on the counter. He stopped and sighed heavily. I closed my eyes as I felt tears build up. I heard shuffling and then felt his warm lips on my forehead. 

I opened my eyes after a few seconds had passed, only to find him gone. He had left me. I cried into the counter, "I'm sorry," I stayed there for a while and gathered my thoughts. I started to get off the counter and I dragged myself to my room. I reached for my phone that was in my bag. I had an unopened message. 

"See you tomorrow 🌅"

I frowned. It was from an unknown number. I assumed it was from Archer. We had a morning date the next morning. I shrugged it off and went to bed but only after sending Archer an apology. I had definitely overreacted. I didn't sleep well though, kept on turning and twisting in bed. 

~The next day

I groaned as I twisted in my bed, Archer's supposed persistent knocking wouldn't stop. I muttered curses under my breath as I ripped the covers from my body. I stopped midway, why didn't he let himself in? I had given him a spare key and him, me. I stood in front of my door and started. "Archer, why not let yourself in?" I stopped when I realised it was Joe. I immediately became aware of my dressing situation. 

I was dressed in a see-through shirt that stopped midthigh only. I felt his awkward gaze brush my bare legs and body. I cringed on the inside. I was really dumbfounded. What the hell was he doing here? "What are you doing here?" I spluttered. I stylishly looked down trying to avoid his cringeworthy gaze. And to think, I thought it was nice yesterday. I held the door protectively as I looked up to him to hear his response. 

"I journeyed all this way, for you not to let me in." He said smugly. I rolled my eyes and let him in. He looked around as if not expecting what he was seeing. "You have a nice place, you know?" He said and looked at me. I shrugged. "Perhaps, you can come down over to mine to check it out too." He took a careful step towards me. My eyes widened at his words. The audacity this being had! I cleared my throat and said, "Sure, why not?" I was gagging internally. That was definitely sarcastic!

He had a small smile playing on his chapped lips and started walking towards me. I looked at the door, Archer could be here any moment. Soon, Joe was standing directly in front of me. He grabbed my hand and that snapped me back to reality. My eyebrows shot up as I stifled a squeal. He noticed and started to laugh. "I'm not going to do anything." He said. But I heard the rest. "Yet."

He insisted we went inside the kitchen. I sighed and then decided to at least make breakfast to pass time. I put bread in the toast machine and I had the eggs on the fire. He sat on the counter and looked at me, studying my every move. I secretly hoped Archer was going to arrive soon. I realised there that it was Joe that sent me the text. I cursed under my breath as I got carried away and the eggs almost got burnt, at that moment, the toast was ready. It sprung up so loudly, I jumped with a little squeal. I dished up the food and poured Joe a glass of orange juice. I handed him his plate and I felt his hand linger on mine before pulling away. It sent shivers down my spine. What a great way to start the day!

I sat opposite him on the kitchen counter and we kinda ate in silence. It was honestly awkward, even for him. He finished eating and stood up to drop off his plate. He reached for the sponge so I stood up, "No, Joe, I'll clear it, don't worry." I met him at the sink. He only smiled and me and maintained a weird eye contact. I didn't realise he had leaned in until I felt his lips on mine. My eyes widened as I realised what was happening. My hands immediately shot up to push him back but he was a hunk of a man! He stopped and I slapped him immediately. I was about to yell at him when I heard a bag drop. I looked at the source of the sound. It was Archer

He looked so pained, "Archer, it's not what it seems." I started. He didn't look at me, his gaze was placed on Joe who stood frozen beside me. Archer started to walk backwards and he said, " I see you remembered our morning date." That hurt me. I could explain if he'd just listen. I went after him, "Archer, wait." I begged. He turned back to look at me with dull eyes, "So much for me hoping we could work out." He left. I fell to my knees. He didn't just say that. I understood the meaning behind his words and it hurt me to think that I hurt him.

I had lost him...

~PART TWO~

BETILLA

I froze on the spot as I heard the front door close. I slowly turned to see the bastard that caused this. He stood by the counter, watching me with a blank expression. "Leave," I spat. He raised his eyebrows at me, "That was a shame." I narrowed my eyes at him, "Are you okay? I said to fucking leave!" He started laughing, was he insane? I rolled my hands into fists. "Leave now or I'll call the cops." He held up his hands and chuckled like a maniac. "Okay, okay." He walked to the door and turned back to look at me, "It was a nice kiss." I flipped him off. I rushed to lock the door after he left and headed for my room to get my phone.

I sent him multiple texts trying to explain everything, which he didn't respond to. I also called him and he blocked my calls. I got really worried. I decided to head to his house. He'd have gone home to think right? Will he disappear as he did months ago? I really didn't want that. I didn't want him to be hurt. he'd just compare me to Mildred. I was nothing like her.

I shimmied out of my nightwear and got into presentable clothes. I literally ran down the stairs and into my car. The tyres of my car squealed as they skidded against the road. Archer's house wasn't quite far from mine so I was there in no time. I pulled up into his driveway and frowned when I realised his car wasn't there. Where the hell could he be?

I decided to wait at his place for a while. I sat in my car for a while and decided to head back to my house when I got really hungry. I sighed as I pulled back into my driveway to meet an empty house. I started to cry when I walked into my room and he wasn't there. Had he really left me? He was not taking my calls or replying to my messages. I sat on my floor and cried. It was all too much!

I must have spent hours on my room floor, I didn't even bother to get anything to eat. I just sat there regretting all my life's decisions. I only stood up when I heard my phone buzzing. I jumped up immediately in high hopes that it'd be Archer. I dropped my phone when I saw it was a random number. I went to turn on my room lights because it was getting dark outside.

I got myself a glass of water because I was feeling a little bit lightheaded. I looked back at my phone and saw the same number calling. I picked it up, "Hello?" I asked. I heard sirens in the background and the sound of someone crying. "Betilla?" The person asked. I could feel my heart hammering. This couldn't be happening. What the hell was going on?! "Speaking, "I tried to remain calm. I heard the person try to hold back tears, "It's Archer." The person said, followed by a whimper, "Come to the main hospital."

I didn't waste time, I jumped in my car and headed for the hospital. I tried to paint different situations in my head. They all ended with me getting hurt and I couldn't bear that. I prayed that he'd be okay, that was all I wanted.

Adaptedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें